Completely Flummoxed by TCIs

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
ashleylm
2221 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Completely Flummoxed by TCIs

Post by ashleylm »

I'm obviously missing something fundamental.

When I go to "best TCIs" I see my #1 top user, ordered by best TCI, has a score of .8571 (don't know what this means' it doesn't match the TCI score when I go further). So I click on their name, and see the words "not in your top 1000 TCIs" ... So why is my top user not in the top 1000? I don't get it.

User #2 is my 997th best TCI ... huh?

How do I get to see my best TCI? That's the point, isn't it, to find someone with really similar taste and then explore unseen movies they liked.

Feeling like an idiot, hoping for help.

Ash

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Re: Completely Flummoxed by TCIs

Post by TheDenizen »

Sounds like a bug.

When I look at "Best TCIs" under the You tab, and follow those links to individual user pages, the numbers match up. For example, joseywales is listed as my #1 top user, and his profile page lists him as my 1st Best TCI.

Or maybe a profile setting out of whack, like your minimum films in common set really high or something?

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Definitely some sort of issue. TCI is the average difference in tiers for films in commons. So, lower TCI means better match. Anything below 1 is a pretty solid match for your movie tastes. As Denizen suggested, there may be a bug caused by a high "films in common" threshold. Go to you profile and play around with that number and see if anything changes. If not, I'd post in the found a bug forum.

ashleylm
2221 Ratings

Post by ashleylm »

Thanks so much. It's working now--the 1st user listed is my best match. Only three things have changed: I gave them some Paypal money to generate scores for all movies, I'm at a PC instead of my iPad, and it's the next day. So can't figure out what the cause of the problem was, but the good news is it's (at least for now) gone away, and all is as it should be (and so much more sensible!)

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mattorama12 wrote: there may be a bug caused by a high "films in common" threshold. Go to you profile and play around with that number and see if anything changes.

I just changed my films in common threshold from the default 10% to 20%, but apparently this does not have any immediate effect on the "best TCI list". Most of the users listed there still only meet the 10% threshold, not the 20%.

However, when you click on a user, that is below the 20% threshold, it now says "TCI: not enough films" and is therefore subsequently removed from the "best TCI list".

Also, when you click on the "generate 50 more TCIs", all new TCIs are above the 20% treshold.

So the new threshold will slowly penetrate your best TCI list over time.

Again, it would be so much better to see an immediate change (which would also help you see immediately which setting works best for you). For this, a manual refresh/recalculate all TCIs function would be necessary, as long as it is not done regularly automatically.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

A manual refresh would require too much resources on the part of Criticker. As someone else in another thread already said: the best thing you can do is to rank a lot more films at which point your TCIs become more stable and accurate.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Dardan wrote:A manual refresh would require too much resources on the part of Criticker.

Unless you are one of the server admins, we have no way of knowing the server workload.
EDIT: mpowell said he is in favour of a manual refresh IIRC

The workload of a manual refresh on an on-demand basis is infinitely smaller than for an automatic, regular refresh (which still isn't as good as real-time updating) for all users, and I doubt that it would generate excessive workload, given that the site already offers buttons to generate more TCIs and more PSIs.
Last edited by livelove on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

I like the word 'flummoxed'. Also 'bamboozled', 'skullduggery' and 'rapscallion'.