Has anyone been banned from Criticker?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Has anyone been banned from Criticker?

Post by Stewball »

....since its inception, but particularly recently.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Re: Has anyone been banned from Criticker?

Post by mattorama12 »

You mean specifically from the forums, I assume? I've wondered the same, or if it's self-imposed.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Pickpocket was banned for a while. After the ban got lifted he decided against coming back due to not agreeing with moderation policy.

Before the recent change, based on what mpowell said in the now no longer stickied post ("As a user of the Criticker Forums, you probably know that we've been extremely lenient when it comes to moderation.)", probably no user was ever banned.

As for ShogunRua, I don't know.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Yeah, Pickpocket pm'd me for a while after he was suspended, and then was posting somewhat regularly until he (was?) dropped off all together. And even I, who am no shrinking flower, thought Shogun could go over the top at times. The new policies could have been the last straw. They've probably found another site--and I do wish this one was more active (besides the *^&*^$%^* still from a movie thread). I don't think the new policies have drawn in any significant numbers of new people.

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

I was wondering the same thing. Certain people are certainly missing since the forum upgrade.... I still see them ranking movies though.

As for the forum now. I think it's an improvement over the old discussions that always spiraled into the same topics and the same people arguing. I imagine for newcomers to this site it must have been off putting.

As for the low activity since the upgrade. I think this is because there is no easy way to see the new posts (the links are missing since the upgrade). So it's very difficult to see what's going on unless you go into every separate topic manually. Too much hassle. As long as this is not fixed I don't expect to see a lot of new users here.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

td888 wrote:I was wondering the same thing. Certain people are certainly missing since the forum upgrade.... I still see them ranking movies though.

Has anyone else besides Pickpocket and Shogun gone missing? Can we compile a list of missing persons?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

dardan wrote:As for ShogunRua, I don't know.

Not banned or even warned. However, when one of my posts was altered for an unbelievably petty reason, I decided the Criticker Forums were a poor use of my time.

Having since observed the very selective nature of the moderation, I'm confident I made the correct decision. One example being how Pickpocket was banned but far worse offenders espousing the opposite view didn't receive so much as a warning.

Stewball wrote:I don't think the new policies have drawn in any significant numbers of new people.

They've had the exact opposite effect. Forum activity is at an all-time low. The board resembles a ghost town.

Funny thing is that I predicted all this when someone complained about me, Pickpocket, Stewball, etc. a couple of years ago. I noted that without us starting a multitude of topics, and yes, even arguing, there isn't much posting going on.

I guess no one believed me?

td888 wrote:As for the low activity since the upgrade. I think this is because there is no easy way to see the new posts (the links are missing since the upgrade).

Yep, that's TOTALLY the reason. No other possible explanation.

In related news, the train is fine.

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

In fairness, Pickpocket was pretty mean spirited and rude at times. Even I found his attitude rather abhorrent in many cases. At least Shogun refrains from going into some diatribe about how he thought people were liberals and rarely ever insulted anyone. I don't really blame moderation for at least giving Pickpocket a warning of sorts.

I do agree that he at least made the forum more active, though. I occasionally pop by the forum to see if any hot topics have come up and usually it's empty as hell. A shame, too, because I think there are a lot of users here who could make interesting discussions.

chemical404
3432 Ratings

Post by chemical404 »

HorrorMaster, like ages ago.