Not scoring bad movies

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
milojko
284 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Not scoring bad movies

Post by milojko »

So, most of my scores are 75. Which are basically all movies i somewhat enjoyed watching. But they are tier 1 and tier 2 for me. Even tho, if i'd have to put them in a tier i would give them a tier 6-7. So, does the criticker work based on those tiers or based on the raw score?

I simply dont understand how could i get good TCIs unless the person exactly like me doesnt rate any bad movies...

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Not scoring bad movies

Post by mpowell »

Criticker works by building a full profile of your opinions. If you don't rank any bad films we can't determine what you "don't like". As far as Criticker knows, the films you rank w/ 75 are the worst you've ever seen.

You can still build TCIs with people, and they'll likely be accurate. Your higher tiers reflect the movies you think are the best, and they'll be matched with the favorite films of other users. So, Criticker will be able to accurately recommend great movies to you -- but if you don't "dislike" any movies, the system won't be very good with guessing which films you won't like.

jnydam
3000 Ratings

Post by jnydam »

Dont the tcis mean nothing because nobody properly ranks the movies? You would need to be guided how to fill out the rankings for the average person to have meaningful results. This should be changed so people only have a choice from 1 to 3 and maybe 3.1 through 5.0. Until that time I wont trust the rankings.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

jnydam wrote:Dont the tcis mean nothing because nobody properly ranks the movies?

lots of people rank bad movies with low scores. In my 10+ years of experience with Criticker, I've found the TCIs remarkably accurate. As long as you've ranked at least a few hundred movies (including a reasonable range of bad, good and great movies) you should get decent results.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Yeah it's a bit of an issue. The problem is that they believe that tiers are the way to go when tiers are kind of a stupid concept because not everyone has an even distribution of the quality of the films they see. It'd honestly just be easier to take every rating whether it's out of 10 or 100 or whatever and turn it into a percent number and then see whose percentages you're closest to.

I find the PSIs are accurate-ish for movies in the 80+ range, if it recommends me a movie with that high a PSI score then I know I'll like it even if I don't rank it as high as the PSI suggested. Where I don't trust it is the PSIs 65-80 range because those are generally pretty far off for me.