Total newb questions

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Total newb questions

Post by BadCosmonaut »

NonyaBeezWax wrote:When i use generate more PSI's- what user are the PSI's based off of, or is it an average from all of the kumpels i've added?

PSI is based off of your top TCIs. Check out this tutorial if you haven't already.

TCIs are users whose tastes are the most similar to your own. I think PSI are pulled from the top 1000 users in your TCI.

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

NonyaBeezWax wrote:...But when you generate 50 more, the ones you get are the highest rated on criticker for you at that particular time, or is it just a random selection? In other words does it do any good to "generate more TCI's" a few times?

When you generate 50 more, I think it's just comparing you to 50 random users, but I'm not sure.

NonyaBeezWax wrote:Maybe i need to generate TCIs each time before looking for movie suggestions so it's more accurate.

The more TCIs you have, the more PSIs you'll have and the more accurate those PSIs will be. How often you generate those TCIs is up to you. If you want to avoid the hassle of doing all that, you have a couple choices of paying them to do it for you.

If you pay them $1.50 you can generate PSIs for every title in Criticker's database. If you pay them a $5 one time donation it will regenerate your PSI every day for a month.

One thing I'm not sure about is if you pay the $1.50, does the system also compare you to every other user in the system so that you don't have to generate 50 TCI again, or at least not for a while until new users come along. I do know that if you pay the $5 it does generate full TCI for you just like PSI, so maybe that is the best choice for the first month, and then after that just doing the $1.50 every once in a while. If you do decide to pay, I recommend you rate as many movies as you can beforehand.

This site could use an overhaul, where all this payment information is answered and condensed to one page to make it clear what you're paying for.

NonyaBeezWax
2524 Ratings

Post by NonyaBeezWax »

Odd that primer is in that list, one of the best independant sci fi movies i've seen, i rated it a 9 on imdb, i imported my entire imdb rating list to crickiter, but it thinks i didn't see it. But for the most part this list has far more movies that seem interesting- the other list i made had so many movies that didn't really seem interesting. Thanks, i do see the filters, i'll have to go through these more.

TCI is not a relationship between your ratings and the ratings of only your kumpels. TCI is a measure of similarity between your ratings compared to another user's ratings. Whether that user is a kumpel to you doesn't influence the TCI between you.

Ok, kumpels are just contacts, suddenly other things make more sense now as well.

The ideal solution would be negative filters, but unfortunately this functionality has not been implemented yet. It possibly never will be.

Yes, negative filters! That's what i was looking for- i had never see much need on other sites, but the way everything is laid out it just seemed natural that there would be a way exclude entire genres, years or some other aspect, from searches.

Thanks for the help, just knowing some of these small details made everything make more sense.

Rob

NonyaBeezWax
2524 Ratings

Post by NonyaBeezWax »

Now i see- one of the filters- you can have it list all movies, or just movies you haven't seen..

PSI is based off of your top TCIs. Check out this tutorial if you haven't already.

Yes, i saw all of those, they were very general, almost no info other than what's already obvious was in there, but thanks for posting.

The more TCIs you have, the more PSIs you'll have and the more accurate those PSIs will be. How often you generate those TCIs is up to you. If you want to avoid the hassle of doing all that, you have a couple choices of paying them to do it for you.

That makes sense. somewhere it says the site keeps a list of the 1000 top TCI's, so maybe it's a running list that removes the lowest TCIs when you make more. Well, on one hand it would be nice to understand in depth, but on the other that might be giving away too much formula.

NonyaBeezWax
2524 Ratings

Post by NonyaBeezWax »

I just noticed- in that list, why are there PSI's listed for films i've seen? i.e. i mentioned i saw primer and rated it 9 (converted to 90 here) years ago. But criticker shows a PSI of 65 for it, when i click on the film it even shows that i already rated it 90, but it still suggests i might give it a 65..

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

NonyaBeezWax wrote:I just noticed- in that list, why are there PSI's listed for films i've seen? i.e. i mentioned i saw primer and rated it 9 (converted to 90 here) years ago. But criticker shows a PSI of 65 for it, when i click on the film it even shows that i already rated it 90, but it still suggests i might give it a 65..

when ordering by psi, it shows you the psi, not the score you've given. this is intentional, and doesn't affect calculations in any way.

have you seen this page?:-
(i don't know if it's different in an app, but) if you go to primer's page, it should say 'Your PSI was 65 - See why'. when you click on 'see why', it takes you to this page, which shows you the users it's getting the psi from. let me know if you looked at those pages, i'll have to make you some kind of explorer badge.

NonyaBeezWax
2524 Ratings

Post by NonyaBeezWax »

When on the primer page, i see 90 in large letters, to the right i see

Your Score
Awesome!(Tier 10)

And edit score/delete score, but i don't see see why. I clicked your "this page" link, haven't seen that before, that also helps things make more sense. Maybe my browser isn't working well with the page (chrome), not sure. But thanks for the link, that does help.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i've always had it on chrome or FF