Difference between ignoring a movie and rating it 0?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
elfez
727 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Difference between ignoring a movie and rating it 0?

Post by elfez »

I realise that ignoring a film will hide it from me, but I'm wondering will it also have an impact on generating PSIs (as if I'd rated it 0)? What I'd like to be able to do is try and get the system to recommending me certain genres (say deep existential Korean dramas from the 30's). If I understand things correctly rating a movie that I have absolutely no interest in 0 should have that effect. But will ignoring do the same?

igormachete
1552 Ratings

Re: Difference between ignoring a movie and rating it 0?

Post by igormachete »

My guess is that rating it 0 will help, since it will lower the TCI of someone who have watched the movie and liked it, and theoretically you don't want any suggestions from this person.

BadCosmonaut
4400 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that ignoring a title has no effect on your PSI's of other titles.

If you ignore a title, you will no longer have a PSI for that title, plus since you haven't rated the ignored title, the ignored title won't influence your TCI. If the ignored title doesn't influence your TCI, then it can't have any effect on PSI's of other titles since PSI's of other titles are generated from TCI. PSI's don't influence each other directly. Your scores effect TCI, and TCI is what generates PSI's for other titles.

Ignoring a title basically removes the ignored title from the system as far as PSI is concerned, both for itself and for other titles.

elfez
727 Ratings

Post by elfez »

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated!