This site should be the #1 place to look for movie reviews and recommendations

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Moldak
542 Ratings
Your TCI: na

This site should be the #1 place to look for movie reviews and recommendations

Post by Moldak »

You guys should hire some growth hacker or whatever and make the site all shiny and modern, pretty sure there is a lot of money in the data you already have, and it wouldn't hurt to become more "mainstream". This is the only place where recommendations don't suck. Hell, maybe even just license your recommender engine, I'm sure there's a market for it (free ones suck, trust me I'm a data scientist).
In the mean time have a few beers, it's on me.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Re: This site should be the #1 place to look for movie reviews and recommendations

Post by iconogassed »

please for the love of god no

PrestoBix
2379 Ratings

Re: This site should be the #1 place to look for movie reviews and recommendations

Post by PrestoBix »

undinum wrote:please for the love of god no

Worst case the forums gets ruined. I can't see more people ruining the rest of criticker. Maybe I'm wrong though. This place definitely could use some sort of extra revenue, it's a site that I feel could go down anytime. I think that's mainly why there's the 'export your ratings' feature.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

The interface is mostly fine I just don't think enough people know it exists compared to other ones. As for more people ruining it, I disagree, the more people there are the better your PSI's get, the more people are ranking films, etc.

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

' shiny and modern' i know that such sites are very laggy for me. ...but some advertising might be needed ;]

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

90sCoffee wrote:The interface is mostly fine I just don't think enough people know it exists compared to other ones. As for more people ruining it, I disagree, the more people there are the better your PSI's get, the more people are ranking films, etc.

That implies the site isn't already "ruined."

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

PSI accuracy would improve with a greater volume of users, as would revenue that'd hopefully lead to more features down the road (cough music criticker cough), so i'm all for the idea of making changes to promote criticker more widely or w/e. i wouldn't want them to change or compromise the site to the point of alienating its core userbase in the process though. sometimes the process of making something more marketable destroys what made it original and beloved.

Frank
1239 Ratings

Post by Frank »

I love the interface, I hope it doesn't change because this modern trend of "simplify and dumb down" everything is quite annoying.

I do agree that maybe some marketing should be done to drive users to the site. Maybe some more ads on Google and Facebook targeting things like Movies, Movie Clubs, Obscure Movies, Movie Groups, etc... Those would let the site gain a hopefully helpful balance of the average movie viewer and film buffs to strengthen the recommendations for all kinds of movies.

babaracus
3121 Ratings

Post by babaracus »

personally I like the site as is. having said that, there's one clear direction to go if you want more members and that's following the trend. I've read somewhere (maybe their newsletter when I was a member) that the numbers of Letterboxd really skyrocketed when they got apps for ios and especially android. I think that's where most users would come from these days. criticker's mobile site is perfect already, but I think the matter is simply being present in the app stores when people search for movie apps. making a premium ad-free version should bring revenue too. It wouldn't hurt to stroke the member's (phrasing!) ego a little and let us know how many people added us as kumpels and are following our reviews. finally maybe focusing the homepage a little more on what our kumpels are watching. basically making the site a little more "modern" (read: social). I also understand that lots of people are on criticker because it is not so "social" and they like it (me too), but apparently that's where the money is these days.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

AFlickering wrote:i wouldn't want them to change or compromise the site to the point of alienating its core userbase in the process though. sometimes the process of making something more marketable destroys what made it original and beloved.
Frank wrote:I love the interface, I hope it doesn't change because this modern trend of "simplify and dumb down" everything is quite annoying.
gabba2k7 wrote:"shiny and modern" i know that such sites are very laggy for me
couldn't agree more