Where is everyone ?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Where is everyone ?

Post by livelove »

BadCosmonaut wrote:I also agree that on IMDB, this was a problem for mega popular movies like Shawshank, Godfather, etc. or any movies that would have been controversial due to PC issues like the new Ghostbusters.

I honestly never saw that problem. Sometimes discussions get heated, so what? I acutally loved all kinds of discussions on IMDB. The thoughtful ones. The controversial ones. The heated ones. Heck, even the troll replies started to get funny at one point, once you got the hang of it :D

BadCosmonaut wrote: the specific movie forums on IMDB were invaluable for discussion. In fact, the specific movie forums when they existed were the best place (IMO) for discussing movies, especially compared to now where there is no good place at all, or at least not that I know of.

completely agreed. That's why I said in your (feature request) thread, that now would be the perfect time to act and fill the void left behind by the closure of the iMDB forums. There are literally millions of users looking for a new home! Criticker could be this new home for at least a good portion of them. Think big.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Internet message boards in general have been on the decline for years. It's not just Criticker. An increasing share of online discussion is moving to a handful of big sites (mostly content aggregators and multi-purpose sites like Reddit/Facebook/YouTube). It's a shame, but at the same time attracting a narrower demographic has its benefits.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

snallygaster wrote:Internet message boards in general have been on the decline for years. It's not just Criticker. An increasing share of online discussion is moving to a handful of big sites (mostly content aggregators and multi-purpose sites like Reddit/Facebook/YouTube). It's a shame, but at the same time attracting a narrower demographic has its benefits.

Good points. Looking at the quality of most facebook discussions (let alone youtube), though, it's worthwhile to have a separate place for discussion among movie enthusiasts.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

livelove wrote:@VinegarBob: you are not forced to participate.

Exactly. And I think that given the issues I and others mentioned you have your answer as to where everyone is.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

VinegarBob wrote:given the issues I and others mentioned you have your answer as to where everyone is.

Sorry, I don't think your argument holds water, as even according to you these issues were prevalent on IMDB, yet there were millions of active forum users and threads.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

livelove wrote:
VinegarBob wrote:given the issues I and others mentioned you have your answer as to where everyone is.

Sorry, I don't think your argument holds water, as even according to you these issues were prevalent on IMDB, yet there were millions of active forum users and threads.

Well, it wasn't intended as an 'argument' as much as idle speculation, which is about all you can expect asking a question that nobody can authoritatively answer.

I shouldn't speak for anyone else though. All I can do is tell you why I don't participate much in the forums, for what it's worth.

It seems to me pretty much everything's already been said here and elsewhere about movies. There isn't much anyone posts that's very interesting to me or that I haven't heard others talk about at length before. People like what they like and don't like what they don't. They post reviews to explain why they liked or disliked a movie and that's kind of sufficient. Why bother saying any more? This is the internet. I don't recall anyone ever changing their opinion about anything because someone on the internet held a contrary position. And if you agree with someone about a movie then just give their review a thumbs up (or a star here). Really, Criticker is a model of efficiency. Maybe this quiet efficiency attracts a different type of user. The kind of user that likes to post their thoughts on a movie and move on.

There. I just posted the longest response I've posted in months - mainly because I was bored. Are we any farther forward? I don't think so. Like I said, I kind of like the idea of a lively community of people posting interesting stuff every day, but in reality I think that ship has largely sailed.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

VinegarBob wrote:It seems to me pretty much everything's already been said here and elsewhere about movies. There isn't much anyone posts that's very interesting to me or that I haven't heard others talk about at length before. People like what they like and don't like what they don't. They post reviews to explain why they liked or disliked a movie and that's kind of sufficient. Why bother saying any more? This is the internet. I don't recall anyone ever changing their opinion about anything because someone on the internet held a contrary position. And if you agree with someone about a movie then just give their review a thumbs up (or a star here).

A forum is just so much more. I have seen interesting discussions about a film's meaning, in which several different and valid explanations were offered. You can't do that with a star or a score.