How to get better TCI matches

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
greghend
689 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How to get better TCI matches

Post by greghend »

I was wondering if there was a way to give more weight to your favorite movies when trying to match up with other users based on their TCI's? I would be interested to find those whose favorite films are my favorite films, but I feel like all of my top TCI's share some of my >90% movies but mostly match random ones throughout. For example, somebody who matches with my top 5 films but doesn't match as well with the remaining ones might not have as high of a rating as someone who just happens to match with a lot of my middle-lower tier films. I just feel like the important matches get diluted due to the amount of random matches.

Any advice?

Frank
1239 Ratings

Re: How to get better TCI matches

Post by Frank »

You can increase the amount of films in common a person has to have in order to appear in your TCI calculation. On your profile page, click the "update profile" and the last option above the submit button is the percent in common you want to set.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: How to get better TCI matches

Post by livelove »

Hi greghend and welcome to the forum on behalf of everyone here.

greghend wrote:I would be interested to find those whose favorite films are my favorite films

I'll let someone else handle that part. I am not sure what the best way is to accomplish this currently, as it stands.

As for the rest of your posting, I think you are bringing up a very sensible reflection.
But if you want avoid "random matches", wouldn't it be important that good TCI matches don't just match movies on the high end but throughout your ranking scales? Because otherwise (if you don't agree about the movies you find terrible) the matches on the high end actually ARE random, and that's what you say you want to avoid, right?

Having said that, I am very much with you.

To pick your example, I think my TCI with a user matching my top 5 films should be higher than with another user randomly matching 15 average films around the 50% percentile.

Maybe a user's top films should be higher weighted in the TCI calculation ?