Two questions about recommendations

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
NalleTV
703 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Two questions about recommendations

Post by NalleTV »

Hi! New user here. I have two questions about recommendations.

1. I used to use a another recommendation service which used static ratings with ratings from 1-5. All of my grades where skewed toward 4. I have spent some time putting in these ratings here on Criticker, now 581 ratings and was curious to see what recommendations I would get.

But to my disappointment I got some really weird recommendations. A lot of serious old movies which is not what I generally like. I looked through my ratings and realized that my 55 percentile were at 80. So then that would mean that Criticker thinks that all the movies I have rated below 80 should be considered bad? Is that why I get weird recommendations? Should I try to skew everything toward 50 instead?

2. My girlfriend also strated using Criticker. But when we both look at recommendations she gets a nice list and can choose different genres and years while I only get a top recommendation and some other recommendations. How can get such a list as my girlfriend gets?

porzano
6894 Ratings

Re: Two questions about recommendations

Post by porzano »

Welcome to Criticker!

Hope you´ll learn to like it here, now that filmtipset.se is going in the wrong direction :(

so you can rate anyway you want. only you know what the grade 50 means to you.
But if you´re not satisfied with having a film rated at 80 showing as a 55%´er ( = just above median)
then you need to rate a lot of films you did´nt like so much to move the median down.
A sure way to mess up your recommendations is to only rate movies that you like.

2. take a look at your TCI´s perhaps your girlfriend has more people with similar taste than you have.
A short list of people will mean a short list of recommendations.
If your top users have in common that they like the same really old movies, you will get such recommendations,
nothing strange about that.

NalleTV
703 Ratings

Re: Two questions about recommendations

Post by NalleTV »

Thanks! And thanks for the answer!

Yes, Filmtipset isn't really what it used to be. It will take some getting used to with another recommendation-site.I often found good movies at Filmtipset by looking at similiar movies and seeing if Filmtipset thought I was gonna like it. Filmtipset usually just recommended me movies that it thought I was gonna give a 5. Here at Criticker it seems like you can get recommendations as long as it's over the 50th percentile. I liked more the list you got at Filmtipset than the format of the Top Recommendation.

But I was curious about Criticker since many seemed to think it was really good at giving recommendations. And also it has tv-series, something I missed at Filmtipset.

I deleted all my ratings. And now I have a lot fewer but equally many above and under 50.