"Before I Fall"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Before I Fall"

Post by Stewball »

Ok, in the last 6 months, I've rated an action movie (The Accountant) a 10+; and then I rated a movie about a dressmaker (titled oddly enough, The Dressmaker) as a 9; but now I've hit a new low by rating a teenybopper flick with a 9 as well. But I don't feel myself slipping away, though I'm sure some here will cynically disagree. At any rate, I've sat on this for a couple of days and have decided to stick with it.

The movie god lured me into this with the possibility of a good story, about a girl going through a Groundhog Day repeating time loop scenario, but on a more serious note--and it's Feb 12, not Feb 2. This is more therapeutic, replacing droll detachment with a struggle between Samantha and her mean side. And it becomes apparent that she's going to have to keep repeating it until she gets it right. Yes, it's a simple plot, and for the most part you can see where it's generally going a mile away, but you don't see the details. Is it the Devil, or God, figuratively speaking, in those details? The ending and the more serious tone are the biggest differences between it and Bill dealing with Phil (the groundhog). An adult viewing this is like an adult watching a worthwhile children's movie, only for teenagers--which are usually much worse. Maybe that's how it snuck up on me, and it's really an 8 or a 7.

Nawwww, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...for now. 9/10 ( X <<<imagine a smiley in a straight-jacket here)

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Re: "Before I Fall"

Post by 90sCoffee »

Stewball wrote:going through a Groundhog Day repeating time loop scenario

I'm in.

Also I started watching The Accountant and it's quite good so far. A bit too cliched for me to give a 10/10 but it's enjoyable.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: "Before I Fall"

Post by Stewball »

90sCoffee wrote:
Stewball wrote:going through a Groundhog Day repeating time loop scenario

I'm in.

Also I started watching The Accountant and it's quite good so far. A bit too cliched for me to give a 10/10 but it's enjoyable.

With The Accountant there's a lot going on that isn't obvious (reflected in Dana Cummings comment that she liked finding things that aren't obvious). Like what they found that indicated the accountant and the Treasury prisoner were the same person; who "the Brit" is; and the reveal at the fight near the end which a lot of people have claimed to have seen coming. But the best one of all is how the the autism theme is tied to the Hollywood first (I believe) hidden-in-plain-sight modification (look for the eye) they made to Pollack's painting which is also a slam at his cynical "art". There's more, and there's excellent low key humor like the double-take reaction to the couch scene when he blurts out. "Crazy Eddie and the Panama Pump"--I mean, what, he couldn't put it on the back burner for 30 minutes!? And the most relevant verse in the poignant song at the end, wasn't used in the movie...you have to listen to it elsewhere.

The script is tight as a drum, and it's the most re-watchable film I own.