What is the funniest foriegn film you have seen?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: What is the funniest foriegn film you have seen?

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Well, if "foreign" only means a movie not made in my country of origin, rather than a movie where the actors actually speak a foreign language, I'll go with Muriel's Wedding (Australia). There are a number of foreign horror movies I've seen that have brought forth (perplexed) laughter, though.

Perhaps Fuego http://www.criticker.com/film/Fuego/ (Argentina) is the most ridiculuosly hilarious of all foreign movies I've seen.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

"The Visitors", the original Jean Reno film.

Jean Reno's "Wasabi", "Mr. Vampire", and "Pecularities of the National Fishing" (although since I'm Russian, does this count, heh?) are all close behind.

firehorse
366 Ratings

Post by firehorse »

Anyone see the Zen of sex? I thought this was well done, I should mention there are some sexual graphic scenes.

jfloyd
149 Ratings

Post by jfloyd »

The first one I thought of was Italy's "Life is Beautiful," although it is also very sad. But there are also some very funny Australian films (I live in the US), of which "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert," is my favorite. I find that the funniest films, to me, are American, or Britich. If British is considered foreign, I would go with "Month Python and the Holy Grail, " hands down.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Raining in the Mountain

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Death at a Funeral

SirStuckey
2880 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

Delicatessen

Spunkie
5482 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

For that title -Arabesk- is my #1, not foreign for me though. I find The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover very amusing. Hands up for Tati movies. Heroes of the East is my feast for kungfu fun. Save the Green Planet isn't a comedy but it's hilarious especially towards the end. Of the Kusturica armada Black Cat, White Cat is the name of fun. The Triplets of Belleville has the deep comedic tone of Tati. Divorce Italian Style is the last name I'll scribe since boredom settled in.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I suppose Play Time is my new candidate for this title. It's probably the most suited towards comedy that I've seen in the foreign field, I really don't get around to the genre much. I prefer directors that create a light and amusing atmosphere within their serious work - Kusturica (mentioned above, of one that I desperately need to see), Fellini, Wertmüller, Gilliam, Ozu, the Coens, & even Suzuki all share this trait.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

If we are strictly speaking about a film with a foreign language I would have to say "The Dinner Game". Of course Britain is a foreign country for me so I would ultimately be stuck choosing between "In the Loop" and "Holy Grail".