What is the funniest foriegn film you have seen?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
astrakhan
3762 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What is the funniest foriegn film you have seen?

Post by astrakhan »

In the interest of throwing some new names into the hat, I'd nominate the French film Le couperet (2005) and the Spanish film Only Human (2004). Neither is side-splitting, but both very entertaining in a comedic way. Stephen Chow's stuff is pretty zany too, anyone seen God of Cookery?

greenman
0 Ratings

Post by greenman »

8 1/2

jrjunker
408 Ratings

Post by jrjunker »

Loved The Dinner Game, but I'll go with The Gods Must Be Crazy, from South Africa. It starts out like a travelogue, but once it gets going, it is hilarious. The "elephant poop" scientist's trip to pick up the new school teacher is the funniest thing I've ever seen. He makes Clouseau look like a ballet dancer.

pavementSAW
1239 Ratings

Post by pavementSAW »

greenman wrote:8 1/2

I also found Satyricon and Roma to be funny in parts.

I was surprised by how funny The Host was. A good mix of satire and physical humor. I also loved that Steve Buscemi was one of the influences for the monster.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

The first 20 minutes of You, The Living are about the most guffawingest I've seen since Seagram's Nightmare.

CarsonWid
3428 Ratings

Post by CarsonWid »

Love Exposure (Japan)
Suicide Club (Japan)
Weekend (France)

I've heard good things about Dinner Game, but I have yet to track down a copy. It's the original of 'Dinner for Schmucks', right? At the very least, the remake looks like it will suck.

jeff_v
10350 Ratings

Post by jeff_v »

There are certainly greater non-English films that are funny (Rules of the Game, most Bunuels), but probably the one that made me laugh the most was Tampopo.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I just watched "The Dinner Game", and it rocks. A legitimately great comedy, although it's not the funniest foreign film I have seen.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Dr Strangelove and Monty Python's Life of Brian are both absolutely hysterical, probably the funniest movies I've ever seen...both made in the UK so foreign to me.

This is Spinal Tap and Heathers are two of the funniest American films I've ever seen, and since I'm Canadian, they're foreign to me.

However, I think the intention of the topic was for funny foreign language films...the funniest of which I've seen was probably Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:Dr Strangelove and Monty Python's Life of Brian are both absolutely hysterical, probably the funniest movies I've ever seen...both made in the UK so foreign to me.

This is Spinal Tap and Heathers are two of the funniest American films I've ever seen, and since I'm Canadian, they're foreign to me.

However, I think the intention of the topic was for funny foreign language films...the funniest of which I've seen was probably Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle.

If it's foreign language, (ruling out Johnny English), I would go with Jean Reno's "The Visitors" and Stephen Chow's "Shaolin Soccer".