Brüno

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Brüno

Post by Stewball »

Ok, I gotta say it, the emperor has no clothes and neither does Brüno a lot of the time. But there is a serious disconnect here. I mean 9.4 on IMDb (some fudgepacking going on there?) but the "humor" was slapstick, silly and/or stupid. In the nearly vacant theater I saw it in, there was one woman who thought it was hilarious, a few others who chuckled now and then, but, wtf. I did crack a couple of smiles during the TV show, but that was it. After an hour I'd had enough a left. First movie I've walked out on in some 30 years. (That said, I knew enough to stay away from The Hottie and the Nottie.)

It brings a whole new dimension to low brow. Gaaaaah. 1/10

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Re: Brüno

Post by Pickpocket »

It was awesome. Had me in tears a few times.

Jellysauce
1113 Ratings

Post by Jellysauce »

this thread makes me want to give bruno a higher score. i saw it on opening night with a packed theater and people were rolling. i thought this was a great movie, the only real problem i had with it was how quick the ending hits you and how short the movie was.

Stewball wrote: but the "humor" was slapstick, silly and/or stupid.

but when you strip down all humor to its core isn't all just silly and/or stupid? i mean, what do you expect?

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Satire, at least.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I just don't think you like comedy, Stewball.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I'm fairly hyped about Bruno, and will watch it tomorrow in the middle of the day, to beat the typical LA crowd.

Stewball wrote:Ok, I gotta say it, the emperor has no clothes and neither does Brüno a lot of the time. But there is a serious disconnect here. I mean 9.4 on IMDb

Dude, an IMDB rating a few days after the release doesn't mean shit. There are lots of films that are rated from anywhere to 8.5-9.5 that soon after the premiere, easily making the top 100, or even number 1 all time, only to fall a solid 1.5-2.0 points a few months later.

Edit-

The 9.4 rating is based on a whopping 5 votes, from people that caught a sneak peek of the film. (It takes a while for IMDB votes to register) I rest my case.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

A lot more staged than Borat was funny none the less. I'm not sure what other humor people would be expecting from this movie.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

I personaly can't wait to see it. Well I guess I can wait since I haven't seen it yet...dammit I want to see it!

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Pickpocket wrote:I just don't think you like comedy, Stewball.

You got me all wrong. I think you're hilarious.

ShogunRua wrote:The 9.4 rating is based on a whopping 5 votes, from people that caught a sneak peek of the film. (It takes a while for IMDB votes to register) I rest my case.

Well I had that stuffing analogy I just had to use somehow. And it's still only 5 votes this far into the week? That looks like collusion on the part of probably 5 IMDb admins...or something. Gonna be in their top 250 by the end of the week.

A lot more staged than Borat was funny none the less. I'm not sure what other humor people would be expecting from this movie.

Something more like Borat maybe, which I thought was funny except for that scene with the disgusting fat guy, or even something more like its trailers. They did get me to spend my money on it after all--regrettably.

Jeb
2387 Ratings

Post by Jeb »

I thought it was laugh out loud hilarious at some times, and then it got a little stale towards the end. Everybody in the theater pretty much despised the movie. One lady walked up to me and said, "Isn't that the most racist movie you've ever seen?" All I could say was "What did you expect?".