To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
tef
1361 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Post by tef »

I rate movies completely by instinct. The difference between my ratings is all intuitive. Many films are rated 100 but are unequal. If a movie does one thing extremely well, and I like that thing, it's a 100. An 80 vs. a 79, what the fuck could that possibly mean. I didn't put a question mark because the answer is nothing.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

It's largely intuitive, as others have noted, but certain benchmarks do mean something for me.

Namely, anything 60-69 is "enjoyable and has things going for it, but I can't call it solidly good". 50 is "average/okay". 70 is "solidly good", 80 is "great", etcetera. As for 62 versus 63, I just make sure that the if the 63-ranked "serious" films are ones I consider superior to the 62 ranked ones, and the 63-ranked "pure entertainment" films are also ones I consider better than the 62 ranked ones.

djross
5327 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dorkovsky
42282 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

First, I attach a number value to every possible emotion...

AtGiza
864 Ratings

Post by AtGiza »

It's simple. If I like a movie more than another, I'll rate it higher. :|

JohnnyDavid
216 Ratings

Post by JohnnyDavid »

People say they just compare a lot, but how can you remember the experience you had watching a movie from 1930 3 years ago? Your opinion would start to fade, would it not?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

JohnnyDavid wrote:People say they just compare a lot, but how can you remember the experience you had watching a movie from 1930 3 years ago? Your opinion would start to fade, would it not?

Sometimes I watch a short scene on youtube, to help me rate movies that I can't remember very well.

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

kyle.loomis wrote:It takes time. I have probably messed with my ratings half a dozen times in the first year or two on here. Once I found my groove, it goes by my gut, like others said.

This too, it took several revisions to get to something that I was satisfied with, and that just comes to me naturally.

JohnnyDavid wrote:People say they just compare a lot, but how can you remember the experience you had watching a movie from 1930 3 years ago? Your opinion would start to fade, would it not?

I don't rank a lot of movies I've seen a long time ago, and many of the ones I haved ranked need to be rewatched. Opinion may change over time, but it may not, and the current ratings are satisfactory for now.

JohnnyDavid
216 Ratings

Post by JohnnyDavid »

I don't mean ranking movies you watched a long time ago, I don't do that either. I'm saying when you compare to movies you did rank a long time ago, how can you remember what those movies were like? How can you remember the experience of 1000+ movies to try and find a spot? Personally I just rank 1-5 after I watch a movie. Too much work, especially since yes, your opinion will change over time. I think the enjoyment of a movie can be severely influenced by your experience outside the movie, aka in the theater with friends, at home on TV with commercials, intoxicated, mad, happy, tired, etc. Generally I find my opinion on a movie won't change from a 4 to a 5, but I think it would definitely change all the time on a scale of 100.

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

JohnnyDavid wrote:I don't mean ranking movies you watched a long time ago, I don't do that either. I'm saying when you compare to movies you did rank a long time ago, how can you remember what those movies were like? How can you remember the experience of 1000+ movies to try and find a spot? Personally I just rank 1-5 after I watch a movie. Too much work, especially since yes, your opinion will change over time. I think the enjoyment of a movie can be severely influenced by your experience outside the movie, aka in the theater with friends, at home on TV with commercials, intoxicated, mad, happy, tired, etc. Generally I find my opinion on a movie won't change from a 4 to a 5, but I think it would definitely change all the time on a scale of 100.

Well, that is the downside. I've significantly redone my list twice already, and I tend to adjust the score of a movie a few points after rewatching it. But, like I said, I like the range it gives me and how specific I'm able to be.