To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
shalev
1326 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Post by shalev »

mwgerb wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:oh god. Sometimes I start thinking of numbers while I'm watching the movie.

72? no, no, 71.

The dialogue with my mind is disquieting.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one.

Contemplating what score to give is sometimes the only thing keeping me going through a mediocre film. When I make up my mind I usually start looking for something else to watch...

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

hehe, I kinda think of ratings while I'm watching as well, but I consciously make an effort to try not to come up with a "final" number before the movie is over. :lol:

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

TheDenizen wrote:hehe, I kinda think of ratings while I'm watching as well, but I consciously make an effort to try not to come up with a "final" number before the movie is over. :lol:

Same here. Especially if it's a boring film, I then spend lots of time thinking about rating it and then trying to not think that yet.

Kopenhaver
1166 Ratings

Post by Kopenhaver »

I don't give it much thought but i would probably adjust it by a point of two just based on how many times i could re-watch it compared to others at a similar score.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I'll give serious thought into the numbers. I would look at films that I've ranked both 62 and 63 and see how I feel about the film fitting in with either group. I would compare it to films I've ranked 61 and 64 and see if I feel more inclined toward the higher or lower number.

After seeing a movie in theaters, I'll give it a general ranking in my head. This might be mid-80's or low 60's. And then I'll assign a range of numbers like 83-86 or 60-64. Then I'll go into the comparison mode with films that I've ranked similarly.

Everytime I rank a film, I end up tweaking scores of other films I've ranked, though, so the process evolves. Like, I'll think that a movie isn't as bad on retrospect, or if I can't get a film out of my head, the film made a larger impression on me than I had first thought. Sometimes these are huge swings in points, which is the case for a lot of older films that I've seen, ranked, and then rewatched or talked about recently. Sometimes I'll just move something up or down a single point to reflect how it compares with other, more recent rankings.

My return question is do you honestly view all movies you ranked 6 the same? You don't prefer any of them over the other 6's, but not as much as you do movies you rank 7? How can you be so broad?

JohnnyDavid
216 Ratings

Post by JohnnyDavid »

martryn wrote:My return question is do you honestly view all movies you ranked 6 the same? You don't prefer any of them over the other 6's, but not as much as you do movies you rank 7? How can you be so broad?

I actually rate out of 5. I'm not trying to create a list of my favourite movies in order, I just usually give a movie a score out of 5 once I'm done based purely on what I thought of the movie and not comparing it to other movies. I also think some films are hard to compare like comedy vs. film-noir.

Elahn
137 Ratings

Post by Elahn »

I try to rate based on how good I think the movie is, which is not necessarily the same as how much I enjoyed it, but 50+ means I enjoyed it.

If I'm not sure what to rate it, which happens a lot, I'll look at the list of my rankings and place it based on whether it was better or worse than other films.

I realise that my tiers are not right; currently 50 = Tier 2 = Bad, but I consider 50 to be an acceptable film and while it's very average, is still enjoyable enough to watch.

I figure my tiers will sort themselves out over time, as I can't remember a lot of the poor movies I've seen and I get bored going through movies and rating them. I also find it really difficult to rate movies I haven't seen in a while, so I mostly rate films as I watch them.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Elahn wrote:I realise that my tiers are not right; currently 50 = Tier 2 = Bad, but I consider 50 to be an acceptable film and while it's very average, is still enjoyable enough to watch.

I figure my tiers will sort themselves out over time, as I can't remember a lot of the poor movies I've seen and I get bored going through movies and rating them. I also find it really difficult to rate movies I haven't seen in a while, so I mostly rate films as I watch them.

I'm in the same boat, I think a score of 50 falls into my Tier 2 or 3 even though I've found plenty to enjoy in some films I've ranked 50/100. Let me say though, unless you rank a lot of films lower than that, your Tiers will not sort themselves out over time. In fact, by rating many films in the 55-65 range, and very few below 40, my Tiers have skewed to the point where my "average" (Tier 5) score is about 70. Doesn't really matter though, as the PSI is still amazingly good at predicting my rankings.

You can always change your Tier colours and quips on your Profile page if you wanna make your lower tiers seem not so negative :)

Dylan Stafne
35 Ratings

Post by Dylan Stafne »

I figure out first if it's:

90-100 BEST EVER
75-89 Great
40-74 Good.
20-39 Eh
0-19 Bad

Then I look at my list of already-ranked movies and kind of stick it in where I think it belongs. It's approximate and there's not any real difference between 62 and 63.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I used to rank out of 100. It was quite arbitrary but there were some places it felt important. I recently went through and re-did all of my rankings on a .5 scale (or just a 5 scale since its out of 100 but I look at the 95 as a 9.5, etc.) and I feel a lot more content about it. I used to be totally unable to go through my rankings without finding something that deserved to be a point higher which would set off a chain reaction. Now I can make those distinctions in my head without getting all neurotic about having them in the database.