To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Post by ShogunRua »

blucthulhu wrote:
ShogunRua wrote: If you feel like it's too much choice, just rate by multiples of 10 on the 0-100 scale, and you have essentially converted it to a 0-10 scale.

Which is exactly what I do. (Refer to my first comment in this thread)

Mind, I'm not condemning anyone that uses a broader range to rate movies than I do; that would be silly. Just adding my two cents to the discussion.

Yes, and I'm pointing that mathematically, a 100 point scale is always better than a 10 point scale, because it includes the 10 point scale, but also allows a more detailed signal of preference.

This isn't an opinion; it's a mathematical fact. Your posts in this topic seem to miss this, though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

blucthulhu wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
Yes, and I'm pointing that mathematically, a 100 point scale is always better than a 10 point scale, because it includes the 10 point scale, but also allows a more detailed signal of preference.

This isn't an opinion; it's a mathematical fact. Your posts in this topic seem to miss this, though.

Apparently you need to be taught the definition of opinion.

I stated my opinion that I prefer to use a scale of 1-10 to rate movies. Never once did I say that such a scale was better or worse than a scale of 100. Not once. Really, go back and read again, this time without the preconception that my difference of opinion invalidates yours. Good God, so much butthurt over something so trivial.

Heh, you seem to be the one with his panties in a twist. I'm just pointing out that your "opinion" makes about as much sense as the "opinion" of preferring $5 over $10.

It's loony; the 100 points scale is strictly better than the 10 point scale, since it encapsulates and includes the former. A 10 point scale can be implemented on 100 points with no appreciable difference (just multiply everything by 10), but not vice versa.

Now, you can make a dozen more whiny posts defending your lack of reading and counting comprehension through "opinion!", but using simple math, the 100 point scale is preferable.

GFoster
568 Ratings

Post by GFoster »

Late to the party, but as someone who uses the 100-point scale hopefully I can be of some help. The way I use it is as a conversion from letter grades, which is the scale that I used previously. There are 13 letter grades, and since I just employed the two outermost grades to denote “flawless” and “irredeemable” (A+ and F, respectively), they only needed one point each (100 and 0, respectively), leaving the remaining 99 points to be divided evenly among the 11 remaining letter grades.

So, each letter grade gets its own range of nine points (excepting A+ and F), and they mean the following:
A+: Flawless (100)
A: Masterpiece (91-99)
A−: Highly recommended (82-90)
B+: Must see (73-81)
B: Solidly recommended (64-72)
B−: Reservedly recommended (55-63)
C+: Take it or leave it (46-54)
C: Pass (37-45)
C−: Avoid (28-36)
D+: Must avoid (19-27)
D: Disaster (10-18)
D−: Atrocity (1-9)
F: Irredeemable (0)

Within each range, it’s pretty much intuitive. When you use the scale for long enough, you know what a middling B is, what a weak C+ is, what a strong A− is, etc. An easy way to think about it when you first start using the scale is to, after assigning a letter grade, ask yourself how “close” the movie is to being bumped up or down a grade. E.g., let’s use the 62 vs. 63 distinction someone mentioned in this discussion earlier. If I’m between those two ratings, I’ve given the movie a B− (i.e., decent but flawed), but in my mind I know it’s really almost a B. So, I would ask myself: Is this movie “pretty close” to being a B (62) or “very close” to being a B (63)?

My advice is to just let it be a gut thing and not to agonize over it. Try to assign a rating shortly after watching the movie so that you don’t go mad trying to recall what precisely you thought of it a week later. Most of all, keep in mind that this scale really only works as an indicator of your own enthusiasm; trying to factor in “objective merits” (whatever constitutes those) will always be a somewhat disingenuous endeavor. Think of it as advising your former self on whether to see the movie you just watched. How much will you, personally, get out of it? The /100 numerical is just a shorthand for your own admiration and/or enjoyment. Hope that helps.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

How can "Must see" be a weaker recommendation than "Highly recommended [to see]"?

GFoster
568 Ratings

Post by GFoster »

dookobore wrote:How can "Must see" be a weaker recommendation than "Highly recommended [to see]"?

When I say "Highly recommended", it's really more like "great movie"; "Must see", while still a very strong recommendation, only ranges up to "near-great". Or, put another way, I find A− movies excellent but marred only to a slight degree, while I have a few more reservations about B+ movies. If it helps, the scale is designed symmetrically, so the difference between an A− and a B+ is the same difference between a D+ and a D: you can say that you "must avoid" a movie without it quite being a "disaster", and you can similarly say that you "must see" something with it quite being "great". Admittedly, I see how the labels can be confusing (and I should've explained it better in the original post), but you can just swap them if they make more sense that way.

Russ Bedford
755 Ratings

Post by Russ Bedford »

I felt like there was some consistency to how I rated, so I actually made an AI to weigh different factors I might consider. It's pretty accurate.

70 is special. A 70 or above shows an intent beyond mainstream entertainment. The loophole is, even movies I don't like that meet this criterion get a 70. Sante Sangre is a recent example. Anything below a 60 is mass culture, lowest-denominator trash. 73 is more or less a seal of approval. 74 is a notch above that, indicating something legitimately special. 75 or higher is just plain great. I don't generally rate much above 80. I maxed out the inputs on my AI to see what the highest I could possibly rate a movie was, and it was somewhere around 94, but the combination of factors was so absurd that no such movie could exist.

Iamdwg
1653 Ratings

Post by Iamdwg »

It took me a long time, but I did come up with a list
PEOPLE: Acting, Characters, Casting, Importance, Chemistry.
WRITING - Dialogue, Balance, Story Depth, Originality, Interesting,
BTS - Visuals, Cinematography, Editing, Advertising, Music/Sound,
NARRATIVE ARC - Intro, Inciting Incident, Obstacles, Climax, Resolution,
ENTERTAINMENT - Rewatchability, Fun Experience, Impulse to Buy, Impulse to Talk About/Recommend, Sucks you in

Now, because no two movies are the same, I also have a SPECIALTY category for specific questions, like genre specific, character specific, franchise specific, sequel/prequel/remake specific, actor specific, director specific

Finally, I ask if it is halfway decent. If a filmmaker made the movie that they set out to make from the get go, no matter how much you love or hate a movie, that deserves credit. All of this adds up to 100

MontyCircus
2241 Ratings

Post by MontyCircus »

I rate on a 5-star scale with no half-stars (be decisive damn it!). So on Criticker I use 20, 40, 60, 80, 100. It's better than, for example saying "63", because in a month those people won't have a chance in hell of remembering their scores. But it's pretty easy to remember out of 5 possible scores.

20 - hated it, elicited loud sighs, my face firmly resting on my fist, wish I had walked out, etc.
40 - wouldn't recommend it.
60 - Good, recommended.
80 - LOVED it!
100 - Classic! Shout it from the rooftops! Buy 100 copies on Blu-ray and leave them in mailboxes around the neighbourhood!

Bunyas
1984 Ratings

Post by Bunyas »

Personally i see no difference between 61 and 62 or 69 and 70, that's why i left always one point gap between ratings; for example, i rate 70 after 72/73 (stands for the same value) or i rate 68/67 (stands for the same) after 70 etc. So my ratings never end with number of 1,4,6 or 9... That's my rating style, so i can keep my ranking list in an order with sufficient ranking variety. If you find it interesting, you can check it out from my profile..