Upcoming 2011 movies

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Upcoming 2011 movies

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Stewball wrote:It doesn't even sound mythological, or much like Singh.

Well the synopsis I read was a bit different. The synopsis you posted isn't as mythological, but I bet there will still be inaccuracies.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Stewball wrote:
astrakhan wrote:A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop (Zhang Yimou) - nifty Chinese remake of Blood Simple, trailer available.

'Yeah, I was going to suspend my prejudice against subtitles and go see it (opened this week), but it's apparently a poor remake, even for those not bothered by subtitles.

What do you have against subtitles?

I'd personally be more prejudiced against a totally unneccesary remake.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Combine the two and whatta you got, gar BAGGE.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

You deftly avoided answering my question, though. :) What's wrong with subtitles?

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

TheDenizen wrote:You deftly avoided answering my question, though. :) What's wrong with subtitles?

This is my favourite summary:
[Stewball, if you'd rather I removed this for any reason, just let me know.]

Stewball wrote:
Melvin Smif wrote: There are some really good films out there from "foreign" sources in "foreign" languages that I would urge you to watch even if you must suffer through subtitles. This isn't a slam against your tastes or calling you stupid for disliking subtitles, just me saying you're missing out.

I appreciate the latter but I'm not sure everyone here shares that sentiment. And they may have a point. I mean, I'll defend to the death my ability to appreciate a good film, acknowledging that tastes vary, and I think I can be as perceptive as anyone in the appreciation of the finer aspects of film making. And I think most would have to acknowledge that there is some anti-American/English prejudice out there. But (knowing I'm probably setting one up for Pickpocket) I may actually be deficient in whatever mental ability it takes to absorb film with subtitles while still focusing on the images.

Judging by the late hour at which subtitled films are often aired in prodominantly English-speaking/monoglot countries, those that are comfortable with them may well be in the minority.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Stewball wrote:I may actually be deficient in whatever mental ability it takes to absorb film with subtitles while still focusing on the images.

:| I guess that makes sense, but it's a foreign idea to me. I guess I just read really fast, I don't even think about the subs during a film and have no problems focusing on the images. I can understand not wanting to miss any of the visual action while reading subs, I've just never understood how it could actually be a problem for people. *shrugs* Not wanting to miss anything is a much better reason than "I don't want to read at the movies", though :)

I'm a big fan of foreign cinema, and I cannot stand dubbing. Bad dubbing is way worse than bad acting IMO, and dubbers usually seem to be more interested in matching up lip movements than actually trying to convey the meaning of what is being said. A poor dub has ruined several films for me, but poor quality subtitles rarely take much away from a good movie.

moviesorb
0 Ratings

Post by moviesorb »

I have seen some trailers of that movies and it looks fantastic.

Fast Five - The Rock is new cast member will appearing in this movie

Hangover 2 - Great Comedy Movie is back and the set location is in Malaysia facing Monkey adventures

Kung Fu Panda - My Favorite Animation movie