Upcoming 2011 movies

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Upcoming 2011 movies

Post by TheDenizen »

Oh man, Treevenge was great, thanks for posting it!

I was pretty sure that it was Johnathan Torrens in the preview shot, but getting to see Lex Gigeroff onscreen is a rare treat (he was the psycho tree lot owner). Gigeroff was the main writer for Canadian scifi cult series The Lexx, and also had a couple of small but memorable roles on the show.

Related to The Lexx, Brian Downey who played Stanley Tweedle is playing the main villain in the full version of Hobo with a Shotgun (if you didn't already know) :)

astrakhan
3762 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

I have also been keeping a list. Some of these might be 2010 films, but they haven't come to me yet, and some might never get a theatrical release. Fingers crossed for 2011 though.

Super (Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon) - imminent superhero parody.
Middle Men (Luke Wilson, James Caan) - internet pioneers comedy, trailer looked promising.
Somewhere (Sofia Coppola, Stephen Dorff) - the next "The Wrestler"? Good trailer.
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - Palme d'Or, I think we should have heard of this Thai weirdness by now.
A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop (Zhang Yimou) - nifty Chinese remake of Blood Simple, trailer available.
Spoken Word (Kuno Becker) - young Mexican poet gets embroiled in drugs.
Mr Nobody (Jared Leto, Diane Kruger, Sarah Polley) - sci-fi in which a man wakes up 100 years into the future where humans (except him) are immortal.
True Legend (Yuen Wo-Ping, Michelle Yeoh) - highly praised Chinese martial arts epic.
The Way Back (Peter Weir, Colin Farrell, Ed Harris) - drama set in a Soviet gulag in 1940.
Perfect Sense (Eva Green, Connie Nielsen) - love story, having production problems I think.
Guest (José Luis Guerín) - promising documentary which slanders film festivals and the film industry.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Anomaly1 wrote:
djross wrote:The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson) – set in the 1950s, about an evangelist.

This. PTA essentially retelling the creation of Scientology? I'm in.

Tree of Life and True Grit look pretty interesting, too. Quite a few other films that look great coming out next year.

agree... I love PTA, can't wait to see this.

Choens films are typically pretty good too, should be promising

miss jesus
2427 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

Already mentioned:

A Dangerous Method
Melancholia
The World's End
The Master

I'm also interested in:

The Rite, exorcism
Hall Pass, Farrelly Bros
Immortals, Tarsem Singh
Paul, Pegg & Frost
Your Highness, Franco & McBride medieval comedy
The Thing prequel, can't not check it out
Thor, always liked that guy
Priest, good word of mouth so far for a comic book thing
Horrible Bosses, unbelievable cast, funny premise
Real Steel, boxing robots

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Moneyball. My anticipation has calmed a bit since Soderbergh got pushed out of the directors chair. Still...Moneyball.

others:
The Way Back
The Master
The Tree of Life
The Rum Diary
also, various other movies beginning in "The..."

wahle509
635 Ratings

Post by wahle509 »

Here is what I am looking forward to:

The Green Hornet (January)
Source Code (April)
Thor (May)
Hangover 2 (May)
X-Men: First Class (June)
Green Lantern (June)
Captain America (July)
Cowboys & Aliens (July)
Mission: Impossible 4 (December)

miss jesus
2427 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

astrakhan wrote:A Woman, A Gun and a Noodle Shop (Zhang Yimou) - nifty Chinese remake of Blood Simple, trailer available.

'Yeah, I was going to suspend my prejudice against subtitles and go see it (opened this week), but it's apparently a poor remake, even for those not bothered by subtitles.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Well having just seen Tarsem Singh's The Fall and being pleasantly surprised, I am kind of excited for his next movie Immortals (2011). I don't want to get my hopes up though because the movie is about greek mythology, and I am currently taking a course for general education credit in Greek mythology. So naturally I am worried about the accuracy of such movie, because the plot synopsis doesn't sound accurate. I kind of wish someone would just make almost a vignette type greek mythology movie because there are so many awesome stories in mythology that the don't really need to be altered. I mean in almost every story there is sex, violence, and oddities that make the story interesting. I just think that a visual retelling of certain myths would be awesome and I think that a guy like Tarsem Singh or Darren Aronovsky could do a great job in telling a simple story but making it visually stunning.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

dougied89 wrote: So naturally I am worried about the accuracy of such movie, because the plot synopsis doesn't sound accurate.

It doesn't even sound mythological, or much like Singh.
RT Synopsis: " A purported bastard who retains an allegiance to his mother despite the fact that he longs to join the quest of a king who is battling demons in ancient Greece later embarks on a grail of discovery that has him finding he is the king's son and also fated to become his country's greatest hero as he leads the successful war against long-imprisoned Titans who are hoping to use the demons to restore their power."

(What's a "grail of discovery"?)

Opens 11/11/11. :?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saw trailer for Red Riding Hood. Looks like Twilight with a Red Cape.

(Also looks like Amanda Seyfried is burning her candle at both ends and in the middle.)