Most uncharismatic/forgettable actors

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Most uncharismatic/forgettable actors

Post by TheDenizen »

Sandra Bullock is unforgettable due to how awful she is.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

hellboy76 wrote:Jon Hamm....had a great turn in 30 Rock playing a total dolt who got everything he had due to his looks.

I wish I could share your mirth on that one.

I did get a little bit of a (tiny) chuckle out of him in a Funny or Die segment where he played the straight foil to a friendly blue fluffy Martian thing, I spose.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:
by Devol wrote: the few episodes of Mad Men I tried to give a chance only confirmed for me the total and complete blah-ness of Jon Hamm.

hahahahahahahahaha

My reaction exactly.

Next thing you know, we'll hear about how Jack Nicholson has no charisma and is completely forgettable.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

TheDenizen wrote:Sandra Bullock is unforgettable due to how awful she is.

I have always wondered what the fascination is with her. She is not particularly talented nor particularly attractive (she has a bit of a rodent look about her). Right now I am actually trying to recall one funny or powerful scene she has been in, in any film.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

ShogunRua wrote:Next thing you know, we'll hear about how Jack Nicholson has no charisma and is completely forgettable.

Wily Mr. Nicholson? There are some films where he's done some extremely powerful and memorable work, most notably in a scene with Will Geer at the end of Five Easy Pieces that will be forever etched into my cerebral cortex probably more so than any other piece of acting I can possibly think of.

Sad about Montgomery Clift, after his car accident. His face had this slightly skewed look from his injuries, which didn't heal completely, and the change in his look was very very subtle, but certainly enough to give him this slightly off-kilter look, that - along with a WAY increased intake of booze and pills - rendered him into this wooden husk of what he once was.

I always thought Elliot Gould was the opposite of charismatic - a big, blubbering, galoot of a slob. I can see the ham and rye hanging out his sports jacket pocket.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

hellboy76 wrote:

I have always wondered what the fascination is with her. She is not particularly talented nor particularly attractive (she has a bit of a rodent look about her). Right now I am actually trying to recall one funny or powerful scene she has been in, in any film.

I completely agree with both of you guys, but would also point out that the post above can be applied to at least HALF the popular actresses in Hollywood. For instance, Julia Roberts, who is apparently even more hideous in real life than she is in movies, (as per Penn Jillette) and is a mediocre actress at best. And while they're not as bad as Rat Face Roberts, hellboy's post accurately sums up Meg Ryan, too. And Michelle Pfeiffer. And Renee Zellweger. Etc, etc.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

ShogunRua wrote:
nauru wrote:Jason Statham
Rob Schneider
George Clooney
Luke Wilson
Adrien Brody
Sam Worthington
Christian Bale - anytime he is in a lead role like in an action film like Batman and Terminator films his lack of charisma basically wrecks entire films IMO; suffers from the same expressionless monotone problem as Jason Statham, and plays the same mezzo-forte arrogant man of few words every time no matter what the context. But when he is in dramatic roles like the Fighter, American Psycho, the Machinist, and others I think he's really good.

Heh, is this list a joke? Serious question. Aside from Bale and Statham, who are among the most memorable, magnetic actors I've seen, the only name that makes any sense is Sam Worthington. I don't even enjoy Clooney in a lot of his roles, but to call him uncharismatic or forgettable?! Are you just screwing with us?

And while Rob Schneider is a horrible, piece-of-shit actor, he does have some charisma, and he's certainly not forgettable.

Devol wrote:Jon Hamm

I'm curious; have you ever watched "Mad Men" or even "The Town"?

It's a little unusual to call someone who has played one of the most iconic characters in TV/film history "forgettable".

I disagree with basically everything you've said. I forgot to mention Jon Hamm in my list; he is definitely less charismatic than Worthington IMO, especially on Mad Men (which I'd sooner call one of the most overrated shows in modern TV history than the vehicle for a single "iconic" character).

Anyway we each have our own opinions which, predictably, are pretty different.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:
I disagree with basically everything you've said. I forgot to mention Jon Hamm in my list; he is definitely less charismatic than Worthington IMO, especially on Mad Men (which I'd sooner call one of the most overrated shows in modern TV history than the vehicle for a single "iconic" character).

"Mad Men" is not only one of the few American dramatic TV series I can stand to watch, it's the greatest TV show ever made, period. If you can't recognize its quality, it's your loss.

However, saying the man who plays Don Draper is not charismatic or "forgettable" is just laughable. Like, do you even know what "charisma" means?

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
nauru wrote:

"Mad Men" is not only one of the few American dramatic TV series I can stand to watch, it's the greatest TV show ever made, period. If you can't recognize its quality, it's your loss.

However, saying the man who plays Don Draper is not charismatic or "forgettable" is just laughable. Like, do you even know what "charisma" means?

I question his ability to discern a good character anyways considering his avatar is of the worst character on a show that is mediocre to begin with (the walking dead).

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:
hellboy76 wrote:

I completely agree with both of you guys, but would also point out that the post above can be applied to at least HALF the popular actresses in Hollywood. For instance, Julia Roberts, who is apparently even more hideous in real life than she is in movies, (as per Penn Jillette) and is a mediocre actress at best. And while they're not as bad as Rat Face Roberts, hellboy's post accurately sums up Meg Ryan, too. And Michelle Pfeiffer. And Renee Zellweger. Etc, etc.

Touche. Well put, I agree on pretty much all of those, especially Julia Roberts.