Ranking the Bond films

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Ranking the Bond films

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:Did it have a sense of humor, or was it dead serious?

It played both sides against the middle--scared of both.

For Chrissake, if you see only one movie the rest of the year (about your current pace), and if it has to be action, make it The Bourne Legacy. History will prove me right.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:Did it have a sense of humor, or was it dead serious?

It played both sides against the middle--scared of both.

For Chrissake, if you see only one movie the rest of the year (about your current pace),

You have the worst timing ever, man. A week ago, your criticism of how few movies I have seen in 2012 would probably be correct. I hadn't watched a single full-length feature since late July! But this particular week, I have seen 3 full-length films, which is 2 more than you have.

Stewball wrote:and if it has to be action, make it The Bourne Legacy. History will prove me right.

The "action" genre died a long time ago in Hollywood. And "The Bourne Identity" was a shit film with a seizure-inducing shaky cam (in fact, any movie that overuses this gimmick does not qualify as "action" in my mind), so I assume the sequels were likewise awful.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:You have the worst timing ever, man. A week ago, your criticism of how few movies I have seen in 2012 would probably be correct. I hadn't watched a single full-length feature since late July! But this particular week, I have seen 3 full-length films, which is 2 more than you have.

What, besides Argo? (And I have bad timing because I can't read your mind????) At least we can agree on your review of Emperor of the North, even if your numerical score didn't match up with it.

Stewball wrote:and if it has to be action, make it The Bourne Legacy. History will prove me right.

The "action" genre died a long time ago in Hollywood. And "The Bourne Identity" was a shit film with a seizure-inducing shaky cam (in fact, any movie that overuses this gimmick does not qualify as "action" in my mind), so I assume the sequels were likewise awful.

What shaky cam? There were some quick cuts but nothing more. You're the first person I've even heard accuse it of that, and you, apparently, still haven't seen it yet. FYI, you can rent it next Tuesday. And, btw, even if it did have a little shaky cam, which it didn't, it would still be a great film. I don't like it either, but unless it's pervasive, like in Taken 2, you can't damn a film for just that.

Our opinion of the action film genre may differ, but to say it died in Hollywood a long time ago makes me think your pro-70's bias has turned your brain to soup.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

ShogunRua wrote:
nauru wrote:Well I just watched Skyfall a few days ago, which means I've seen em all. I think it's tied with Moonraker for top spot in my opinion. Loved the action scenes, especially the opening scene and the skyscraper. Perfect balance between modern visuals and classic cheese.

Did it have a sense of humor, or was it dead serious?

In my opinion it managed to do both very well.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

movieboy wrote:You are talking about Bourne Legacy. He is talking about Bourne Identity.

Hmmmm, thanks.............................................WTF? :?

I'd have to review it but I don't remember shaky cam in that either.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

Bourne Supremacy was when the shaky cam got overused. Identity clocked it pretty average, I don't remember any egregious instances.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

JooJoo wrote:Bourne Supremacy was when the shaky cam got overused. Identity clocked it pretty average, I don't remember any egregious instances.

You're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, my friend. :) The shaky cam in the Bourne Identity made the action scenes worse than unwatchable.

Stewball wrote:What, besides Argo? (And I have bad timing because I can't read your mind????)

Oh, I didn't realize we were exclusively discussing 2012 films. Frankly, Hollywood films in 2012 have been an atrocious disaster, and I don't believe I missed anything particularly good.

Stewball wrote:At least we can agree on your review of Emperor of the North, even if your numerical score didn't match up with it.

You should know by now how tiers on this site work. I ranked it T9, you ranked it T10.

Stewball wrote:What shaky cam? There were some quick cuts but nothing more. You're the first person I've even heard accuse it of that, and you, apparently, still haven't seen it yet. FYI, you can rent it next Tuesday. And, btw, even if it did have a little shaky cam, which it didn't, it would still be a great film. I don't like it either, but unless it's pervasive, like in Taken 2, you can't damn a film for just that.

You really should read my posts more carefully before firing off a response. As noted by others, I was discussing "The Bourne Identity", and that since I thought it was garbage, I have no interest in watching the rest of the series. Even if they did cast Renner in the last one.

Stewball wrote:Our opinion of the action film genre may differ, but to say it died in Hollywood a long time ago makes me think your pro-70's bias has turned your brain to soup.

Okay then, name me a single big-time Hollywood action star under the age of 40? (For the record, even Statham is 45)

Tell me what the hell happened to Stallone, Arnie, Willis, etc? Why they haven't been relevant in a decade? Tell me what the hell happened to Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and the martial arts genre in Hollywood?

When is the last time you saw a major martial arts film even distributed by Hollywood? And when is the last time you saw one that was actually a hit, and didn't lose money hand over fist?

Tell me why there are five times fewer films that even loosely have the tag "action" nowadays as opposed to 20 years ago? Tell me why most of the ones today are dominated by CGI? Tell me why none of the ones today star action stars, but actors famous for other works?

Tell me why the stuntman business is going the way of the dodos? I could go on and on...

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:You're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, my friend. :) The shaky cam in the Bourne Identity made the action scenes worse than unwatchable.

That's 2-1 just here alone, but I'll accept other references on your side if you can produce them.

Oh, I didn't realize we were exclusively discussing 2012 films. Frankly, Hollywood films in 2012 have been an atrocious disaster, and I don't believe I missed anything particularly good.

I'm going by other posts of yours besides these.

You should know by now how tiers on this site work. I ranked it T9, you ranked it T10.

Yes, and I've only regarded them as secondary references--and I assume you do the same since you used its ranking not its tier to begin with.

You really should read my posts more carefully before firing off a response. As noted by others, I was discussing "The Bourne Identity", and that since I thought it was garbage, I have no interest in watching the rest of the series. Even if they did cast Renner in the last one.

It was an understandable mistake, responding to my exhortation to see the BL by comparing it, the 4th in the franchise, to the first, particularly with a criticism which was a first in my recollection.

Okay then, name me a single big-time Hollywood action star under the age of 40? (For the record, even Statham is 45)

So you at least admit they have been making good action films, but only with 40+ actors. :roll: I don't see how that's relevant. That said, men usually come into fame later than women and stick around longer once they do become popular. That was even more true during the "golden" age of Hollywood. Maturity adds to a man's charisma, right or wrong, and most achieve fame in their 30's, so the A list has peaks and valleys. So what? It keeps stunt men (er, dodos) busy, and I'd like to know what makes you think they aren't busy, if not busier than ever. And, what better credential can an action actor have than doing a majority of his own stunts a la Steve McQueen or (ahem) Jeremy Renner.

As for drawing the line at about 40, you've got, Joseph Gordon-Levett, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Leo DiCaprio (who's in a lot of action movies if not an action star), Tom Hardy, Jeremy Renner, Jake Gyllenhaal and Matt Damon. I'd also include Shia LaBeouf who many people don't like but I think a lot of that is due to his youth (26), and he has a baby face to boot. They used that disarming asset well in Lawless, particularly playing with Hardy.

Tell me what the hell happened to Stallone, Arnie, Willis, etc? Why they haven't been relevant in a decade?

Stallone and Willis particularly are as busy as ever, (I liked Rambo as one of the best action movies of the last decade) and Arnold was (a bad) governor for 8 years as you should know and should have stayed in private life once he left.

Tell me what the hell happened to Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and the martial arts genre in Hollywood?

Throw in Van Damme, Chuck Norris and Dwayne Johnson :roll: and they couldn't put together a good movie in a hundred years--and I can't think of a martial arts movie that's above a 30 anyway. Hell tv's Kung Fu was the best martial arts entertainment I can remember. I can't remember, did it use the swoosh sound ad nauseum as well?

When is the last time you saw a major martial arts film even distributed by Hollywood? And when is the last time you saw one that was actually a hit, and didn't lose money hand over fist?

Well, you played right into my hand with that one. OK, I'll bite, when? Ever??? There's probably been some good ones but they get lost in the genre like vampire/teen slasher movies. Crouching Tiger was supposed to be good, but......

Tell me why there are five times fewer films that even loosely have the tag "action" nowadays as opposed to 20 years ago?

Probably because they've developed and used a lot more tags, and if an action movie has drama or comedy as well, it usually gets tagged with that. And people have become more demanding with action movies, which inherently cost more to begin with, much less the modern action movie, than rom-coms, or the cheapest of all, horror. Follow the money and quality to see where the emphasis is, not the number of films. If quantity was the gage, horror would win hands down, and worldwide, maybe martial arts.

Tell me why most of the ones today are dominated by CGI? Tell me why none of the ones today star action stars, but actors famous for other works?

They certainly use it, and a lot of times to good effect, even in artistic films like Life of Pi. It looks like action goes out of its way for realism in the better films, again, like The Bourne Legacy. I'm sure Renner would have appreciated them GCIing the ice in the opening scene, or used a stuntman/GCI for a lot more of the other action. Why do you suppose they didn't? BTW, you do know there've been three directors in the series.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:You're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, my friend. :) The shaky cam in the Bourne Identity made the action scenes worse than unwatchable.

That's 2-1 just here alone, but I'll accept other references on your side if you can produce them.

JooJoo was not agreeing with you anyways, (he only stated the shaky cam was not "egregious") but I didn't realize we were suddenly having a popular election.

Considering you're probably not a fan of either Obama or Twilight, it makes even less sense for you to invoke the populist fallacy.

Stewball wrote:Yes, and I've only regarded them as secondary references--and I assume you do the same since you used its ranking not its tier to begin with.

Wah? I "used its ranking not its tier to begin with"? What does this even mean?

Stewball wrote:It was an understandable mistake, responding to my exhortation to see the BL by comparing it, the 4th in the franchise, to the first, particularly with a criticism which was a first in my recollection.

Sometimes I think you're simply blind. From a quick perusal of "The Bourne Identity" reviews;

CMonster-

"The shaky cam is over used, but is used much better than in most other films."

hellboy76-

"Sure the shaky cam gets a little redundant, but the performance and action make this a solid thriller."

Stewball wrote:So you at least admit they have been making good action films, but only with 40+ actors. :roll: I don't see how that's relevant.

It means the action movies that made them famous were all made in 2000 or earlier. You know, back before action movies in Hollywood were dead? Which was my main point?

Stewball wrote:As for drawing the line at about 40, you've got, Joseph Gordon-Levett, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Leo DiCaprio (who's in a lot of action movies if not an action star), Tom Hardy, Jeremy Renner, Jake Gyllenhaal and Matt Damon. I'd also include Shia LaBeouf who many people don't like but I think a lot of that is due to his youth (26), and he has a baby face to boot.

Not a single one of the guys you mentioned is an "action star". They made their fame in non-action roles. The overwhelming majority of films they star in are non-action.

Perhaps 1 out of every 5 movies they play in is a tame, CGI-heavy picture that loosely gets the "action" tag. Even then, most don't even perform their own stunts.

Arnie and Stallone are action stars. They made their fame in action movies, they mostly played action roles, there wasn't any CGI to cover for them, and they did most of their own stunts.

Stewieball wrote:Throw in Van Damme, Chuck Norris and Dwayne Johnson :roll: and they couldn't put together a good movie in a hundred years--and I can't think of a martial arts movie that's above a 30 anyway. Hell tv's Kung Fu was the best martial arts entertainment I can remember. I can't remember, did it use the swoosh sound ad nauseum as well?

We're not discussing your malformed opinions on quality here, but rather, what Hollywood is producing.

And they are avoiding martial arts films like the plague, whether with Jet Li, Jackie Chan, or anyone else.

Stewball wrote:Crouching Tiger was supposed to be good, but......

Great example! It came out in 2000. You're doing a fine job of proving my point that action films in Hollywood have been dead for the past decade.

Stewball wrote:Probably because they've developed and used a lot more tags, and if an action movie has drama or comedy as well, it usually gets tagged with that. And people have become more demanding with action movies, which inherently cost more to begin with, much less the modern action movie, than rom-coms, or the cheapest of all, horror.

This is hilarious. Are you seriously suggesting films have become less formulaic now as opposed to 20 years ago?

Have you SEEN the pictures out there? Especially the ones that are popular?

Stewball wrote:It looks like action goes out of its way for realism in the better films, again, like The Bourne Legacy.

If you think any part of those fight scenes were "realistic", then you simply know nothing about fights. They're precisely as realistic as the ones in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".

That is, having nothing to do with an actual fight.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

OK, don't watch it. Have a nice day. Image