"Man of Steel"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Man of Steel"

Post by Stewball »

Zach Snyder. Sucker Punch, Watchmen, 300. I really really really wanted to like this but it was doomed to be just another summer busted block. IMDb 8.4 my ass. I'm now officially in withdrawal. 5/10

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: "Man of Steel"

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote: IMDb 8.4 my ass.

It's bad enough paying attention to the IMDB score at all, let alone within the first month of release. But on opening day? What else were you expecting?

There isn't a single high-profile film release that doesn't have a very high IMDB score on release day.

El Guapo
2248 Ratings

Post by El Guapo »

Argh...don't say that, I'm going to see it on Thursday and I was really looking forward to it!

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

I remember watching the trailer for the first time, not knowing anything about it. At first it was great and I thought we're going to have a really good SF blockbuster, but then... guy in a Superman suit showed up. It's probably the lamest superhero that is and I don't really see how a film with him can work unless it's 100% ironic or some thrashy low budget cheesefest (actually the same can be said about every other superhero from comics for kids).

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

edkrak wrote:I remember watching the trailer for the first time, not knowing anything about it. At first it was great and I thought we're going to have a really good SF blockbuster, but then... guy in a Superman suit showed up. It's probably the lamest superhero that is and I don't really see how a film with him can work unless it's 100% ironic or some thrashy low budget cheesefest (actually the same can be said about every other superhero from comics for kids).

Agreed. The first Superman movie was tolerable because it was silly, light-hearted action and Hackman was such a cheesy, over-the-top villain. Apparently, this one is as serious as cancer, without a hint of humor.

How or why anyone over the age of 8 would watch this is beyond me.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:

It's bad enough paying attention to the IMDB score at all, let alone within the first month of release. But on opening day? What else were you expecting?

There isn't a single high-profile film release that doesn't have a very high IMDB score on release day.

I know, I KNOW, but this one didn't even have a rating until after I got back from seeing it. The box stuffing mills usually crank up earlier and even then they don't usually show up in the 8's. And 8 years old or not, I like most of Snyder's stuff, a lot. He usually uses music well, a good score could have bumped this up to a 7 or something, but this was two steps below boilerplate. Hell if he'd found someone besides Shannon (the antithesis of Leger's Joker) it might have been worth a 6. I can't believe Crowe carped about some of his lines in Gladiator but then delivered the weak shit here, weakly. Maybe he should have quit while he was ahead with his swan dive in Les Mis. Come to think of it, I can't think of any lines that would have worked given the situation, it's just you could tell his heart wasn't in it.

But hey, at least the world can now say they've seen Superman's penis, twice. And I guess we're seeing his ass in the box......$44 mil on Friday. They did explain the "S" on his chest,[spoiler]it isn't an s it's a symbol for hope[/spoiler], as in we haven't got any that there won't be a sequel. At least there's one positive, I blew off some steam, and even though it's always fun to bash stuff, I'd still rather see something good.

And there is a positive from the box office; maybe now Snyder will get to do what I know he's capable of--after he does the sequel they've just announced, which, come to think of it, could easily be better.

Will I ever learn? :roll:

gheul
753 Ratings

Post by gheul »

Such a shame, considering the track record of sterling Superman films we've had so far. :?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

panthrtail wrote:Such a shame, considering the track record of sterling Superman films we've had so far. :?

Haha. Well put. My favorite Superman movie was the original, which garnered an impressive 47/100, T4, with the associated quip "mediocre". In fact, my review apparently applies to the newest cash-grabbing attempt particularly well;

"While the original was the best among the awful series, calling it merely "mediocre" is being wildly generous. Besides some cheap special effects and a cool Marlon Brando speech at the beginning, what is the appeal here? It's a simple comic book story for little kids, except we don't even get to see Superman fight or do anything cool. Lots of time is spent on a boring romance, and then, the most retarded display of "movie physics" or "time travel" ever. Gene Hackman is an afterthought."

Stewball wrote:Will I ever learn?

Of course not!

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

ShogunRua wrote:

Yeah it's just Nolanites / hype.. give it a couple weeks/months and I'm sure it won't be in the top250 anymore.. 57% RT score, so the movie is probably just average at best.

Stewball wrote:Sucker Punch

had to lol after seeing your score.. such a piece of trash :lol:

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Jorg wrote:had to lol after seeing your score.. such a piece of trash :lol:

According to the twitterati, yeah, what else? Image