Dallas Buyers Club

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Dallas Buyers Club

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:God, you're obsessed with that dumb little flick, aren't you? The "nut" behind my dislike is that it's a generic, cliched romance movie with the only creativity being that the love interest is AI. And with 30 minutes of content stretched to 2 hours, it's neither meaningful nor entertaining.

I went back and looked at PP's quote (actually a YouTube link), and it looks like you're doing the same thing PP did by linking to it; associating himself with a defense based entirely on name calling and innuendo. The people who use the Ad Hominem attack rarely realize that's what they're doing--it just seems so obvious to them that "I'm right and therefore, you're stupid".

What are you talking about?! This entire paragraph has me utterly confused.

Stewball wrote:But it isn't, and likely that's the problem--on some level anywy.

Don't you sense a disconnect, though? I get my "meaning" and "truth" from writers like Murakami, Conrad, Kundera, etc. and if we're talking movies, directors like Bergman, Lumet, and Fellini. You get your "meaning" and "truth" from cliche Hollywood genre flicks like Her, Midnight in Paris, and Undisputed.

That's completely fine, by itself. People find inspiration in different places, and by no means does the source of inspiration say anything about its result. (Awful filmmakers have been inspired by Bergman, and great filmmakers have been inspired by exploitation sleaze)

However, given what each of us is inspired by, isn't a little fucking ridiculous for you to claim that you're the deep intellectual and I'm the Philistine because I don't appreciate the same brain-dead Hollywood garbage you do? Especially considering your avoidance of subtitled movies? And ignorance/avoidance of those filmmakers and writers?

It's almost like a child saying an adult is a stupid poopie-head because they're not dazzled by the brilliant intellectual transcendence of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Stewball wrote:No, at least not as much, which is why I said "somewhat". What was the point? Did it have something to say? Was it anything more than mildly entertaining?

It was far more than just "mildly" entertaining, and it did a fairly plausible job of painting the realities of a small town and its denizens, even if it did occasionally veer into cliche. There was even balance and nuance to certain characters, like the older newscaster brother, mother Kate, and Woody himself. They have both good and bad qualities, although both are generally positive individuals. (Older brother and Kate more obviously than Woody)

Its insight into a small town and provincial families (look at their various reactions to Woody's win and how it changes over time) isn't original or Earth-shattering, but there is definitely some substance there, unlike Her's empty allusions or vague, teenage angst.

Stewball wrote:So, you drag out the big name-calling guns, knowing I hate teeny-bopper shit, which is almost always a sign of serous self-doubt.

I actually didn't know that at all. In fact, it surprises me.

I remember how obsessed you were with Miley Cyrus. And how many teen movies you watch, enjoying many of them. And how you like more nubile, petite, and young-looking actresses like Mila Kunis, and hate older ones. (The highlight being when I posted a picture of the phenomenal Christina Hendricks, and you called her a disgusting and ugly cow)

So I would actually imagine you enjoy "teeny-bopper shit", as you put it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Stewball wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:God, you're obsessed with that dumb little flick, aren't you? The "nut" behind my dislike is that it's a generic, cliched romance movie with the only creativity being that the love interest is AI. And with 30 minutes of content stretched to 2 hours, it's neither meaningful nor entertaining.

I went back and looked at PP's quote (actually a YouTube link), and it looks like you're doing the same thing PP did by linking to it; associating himself with a defense based entirely on name calling and innuendo. The people who use the Ad Hominem attack rarely realize that's what they're doing--it just seems so obvious to them that "I'm right and therefore, you're stupid".

What are you talking about?! This entire paragraph has me utterly confused.

Willingly so, apparently. Do you not know what ad hominem means? That's the only stumbling block I see.

I remember how obsessed you were with Miley Cyrus. And how many teen movies you watch, enjoying many of them. And how you like more nubile, petite, and young-looking actresses like Mila Kunis, and hate older ones. (The highlight being when I posted a picture of the phenomenal Christina Hendricks, and you called her a disgusting and ugly cow)

I never did any such, what teen movies are you talking about, I wasn't obsessed with Miley Cyrus (except maybe her idiocy), and if you're saying Mila Kunis isn't hot, well, I rest my case. And btw, even you admitted that the actresses on an off screen in Her were hot--all of whom are excellent examples of svelte, having no resemblance in that regard to the chunky Miss Hendricks.

So I would actually imagine you enjoy "teeny-bopper shit", as you put it.

Awwwwww, I get it now. This is a test, to be completely over-the-top irrational and see if you can get me to wig out. But I think you became a victim of your own test. I mean, why is it again that you think any actor would troll for fans intentionally using a promograph like this:
Looks like he gets what he trolls for.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:

Willingly so, apparently. Do you not know what ad hominem means? That's the only stumbling block I see.

I'm not sure what part of my original quoted post above is ad hominem (do you even know what that means? It means a personal statement about you. Calling a movie "dumb" is not an example of ad hominem), but I'm even more confused by what my impressions of Her have to do with either Pickpocket or innuendo. For the record, Pickpocket loved Her.

Stewball wrote:I never did any such, what teen movies are you talking about,

Stewie, we only have to go to your "Recent Rankings" to find two recent movies that you not only watched, but liked;

http://www.criticker.com/profile/Stewball

70 T6 Divergent (2014) - Mar 22, 2014
70 T6 Veronica Mars (2014) - Mar 19, 2014

Stewball wrote:I wasn't obsessed with Miley Cyrus (except maybe her idiocy),

Then why did you start an entire topic devoted solely to her?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4126

Stewball wrote: and if you're saying Mila Kunis isn't hot, well, I rest my case.

Speaking as a Russian who has seen thousands of Russian/Ukranian women, her face is pretty, but also rather plain. Nothing exceptional, at least.

And no, I'm not a fan of the wooden plank, eight year-old boy body that she possesses, and never will be. Unlike you.

Stewball wrote: And btw, even you admitted that the actresses on an off screen in Her were hot--all of whom are excellent examples of svelte, having no resemblance in that regard to the chunky Miss Hendricks.

In Stewie's world, Hendricks (5' 7" and 155 pounds) is "chunky".

Makes as much sense as his taste in movies, I guess.

Stewball wrote:Awwwwww, I get it now. This is a test, to be completely over-the-top irrational and see if you can get me to wig out. But I think you became a victim of your own test. I mean, why is it again that you think any actor would troll for fans intentionally using a promograph like this:

Looks like he gets what he trolls for.

You're weird.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Just an interjection, I don't find Christina Hendricks to be all that attractive and I don't know what the fuss is about with her even, she's certainly not unattractive but yeah. I'd rather have Mila Kunis and that's coming from someone who finds most Russian/Ukrainian women unattractive, if we're gonna go down that path.

What happened to this topic anyway, man. :lol:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Rufflesack wrote:Just an interjection, I don't find Christina Hendricks to be all that attractive and I don't know what the fuss is about with her even, she's certainly not unattractive but yeah.

Boo! Boo! Don't succumb to the Dark Side! As for what the fuss is about, it's for people who appreciate luscious curves, huge breasts, long legs, and a large butt. And on top of all that, Hendricks has a nice face and great posture, perfect for her drop-dead sexy walk.

Rufflesack wrote: I'd rather have Mila Kunis and that's coming from someone who finds most Russian/Ukrainian women unattractive, if we're gonna go down that path.

That makes perfect sense. No one who is into Russian/Ukranian women would find Kunis attractive since, by those standards, she is quite plain/average.