Dallas Buyers Club

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Dallas Buyers Club

Post by kgbelliveau »

McConaughey and Leto completely transform both physically and mentally into their characters and the result is two amazing performances. Survival is the key and Ron Woodroof will do anything to help himself do just that. A fantastic portrayal of the true story, Dallas Buyers Club carries a simple message about alternative solutions. It makes commentary on the FDA (albeit the wrong one at times) and how each person should be allowed to find their own source of comfort when dealing with a crisis.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Re: Dallas Buyers Club

Post by mattorama12 »

kgbelliveau wrote:McConaughey and Leto completely transform both physically and mentally into their characters and the result is two amazing performances. Survival is the key and Ron Woodroof will do anything to help himself do just that. A fantastic portrayal of the true story, Dallas Buyers Club carries a simple message about alternative solutions. It makes commentary on the FDA (albeit the wrong one at times) and how each person should be allowed to find their own source of comfort when dealing with a crisis.

Good review for so few words.

Leto's performance is one of the best I've seen. The relationship between the two was really fantastic and like no other film relationship I can think of. For those who can, please send a recommendation!

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

"mattorama12" wrote:

Good review for so few words.

Leto's performance is one of the best I've seen. The relationship between the two was really fantastic and like no other film relationship I can think of. For those who can, please send a recommendation!

Thanks. That was probably the one thing I couldn't touch on during the limited review. It was a rocky relationship at best for most of the film, but by the end you could tell Ron had changed some of his view points. So much of this film was easily better because of the fantastic characterization. I can't believe at times that was actually Jared Leto, the lead singer from 30 Seconds to Mars.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I just saw this. I expected it to take some shots at the FDA, but not almost equate it to being murderers while characterizing AZT as pretty much a cyanide pill.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Well, well, well, I've gotta wonder how many expected McConaughey's acceptance speech to go off in the direction it did on God and all. It was certainly a surprise to me what with him just coming off his role as Dallas (now there's a coincidence), the greedy male strip club owner/MC in Magic Mike. I must confess I haven't seen MM, but I do remember many religious people wanted to crucify Pat Boone when he showed up dressed like Dallas at the American Music Awards. That said, I expect that the religious right will welcome McConaghey's coming out of the religious closet (which is apparently what it was, Time-Entertainment found his speech "confounding", expressing what looks like the industry's surprise) even if he happened to be president of LBGT-America and had lost all that weight because he actually had AIDS.

Those who didn't know it before must certainly know it now that my cynicism knows no bounds when it comes to the political left and religious right. If George Clooney and Pat Robertson get involved in this we could end up with a perfect storm (heh 8-) ) of PC vs. Piety that will leave all but the respective inner circles of each camp dazed and confused (heh heh 8-) ). ”Alright, Alright, Alright”!

Cut to McConaughey and DiCaprio (both nominees btw) chest beating and humming the money chant song.

And the beat goes on.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

You are creating drama where it does not exist. I don't think anyone is surprised a Texan with a twangy accent is religious, and God is thanked at the Oscars all the time, so...

The most confounding part of the speech is when he basically thanked himself and said he was his own hero. I laughed.

Deserved the win, though. He's been one of the more exciting actors around lately. You should see Mud. McConaughey rules.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

FarCryss wrote:You are creating drama where it does not exist. I don't think anyone is surprised a Texan with a twangy accent is religious, and God is thanked at the Oscars all the time, so...

Not according to Time, and I'm sure I could find other similar articles if I cared to look. There was definite confusion at the Oscars about how they should react, except of course for McConaughey's family who must certainly have known it was coming.

Don't get me wrong, I like his movies, including Mud, and in a way I admire his courage. It's sort of how I felt about Elizabeth Taylor's loyalty to Michael Jackson--points to her for that loyalty, but take them back for her judgement in her choice of friends in the first place. As I've often said, freedom (of religion or whatever else) is the right to be as dumb as you want--on your own dime.

The most confounding part of the speech is when he basically thanked himself and said he was his own hero. I laughed.

What he was saying is that he, 10 years hence, is his own hero. IOW, he continues to pursue self-improvement, a laudable goal. And if you read the Time article, it's obvious the confounding part there is the reference to God in a traditional religious context, delivered in something other than a casual "Oh thank God!" idiomatic exclamation.

Deserved the win, though. He's been one of the more exciting actors around lately. You should see Mud. McConaughey rules.

Yeah, I liked Mud better, but Lincoln Lawyer better than that (though I've got them all as a 7), and his character in Wolf of Wall Street best of all. American Hustle started out leading the pack for acting and feature film awards, but as time went on, sentiment migrated to the politically correct candidates, which makes McConaughey's coming out even more ironic. I bet there were people cutting off their hands for voting for him after that.

Of the ones nominated, Bale should have won best actor, Amy Adams should have won best actress (though it was a close call in a tough field, and I appreciated Cate Blanchett's gracious comments to her competition, first and foremost to Amy); and it goes without saying that Her should have won best pic hands down, of the nominees or otherwise. Fassbender should have won best actor, but for The Counselor, which was relegated to the gutter by the "Academy". The most righteous award of the night went to Spike Jonze for best original screenplay. And if they had an award for best dialogue, The Counselor should have won that too, with Her a close second, maybe even a tie.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Stewball wrote:Well, well, well, I've gotta wonder how many expected McConaughey's acceptance speech to go off in the direction it did on God and all. It was certainly a surprise to me what with him just coming off his role as Dallas (now there's a coincidence), the greedy male strip club owner/MC in Magic Mike. I must confess I haven't seen MM, but I do remember many religious people wanted to crucify Pat Boone when he showed up dressed like Dallas at the American Music Awards. That said, I expect that the religious right will welcome McConaghey's coming out of the religious closet (which is apparently what it was, Time-Entertainment found his speech "confounding", expressing what looks like the industry's surprise) even if he happened to be president of LBGT-America and had lost all that weight because he actually had AIDS.

Those who didn't know it before must certainly know it now that my cynicism knows no bounds when it comes to the political left and religious right. If George Clooney and Pat Robertson get involved in this we could end up with a perfect storm (heh 8-) ) of PC vs. Piety that will leave all but the respective inner circles of each camp dazed and confused (heh heh 8-) ). ”Alright, Alright, Alright”!

Cut to McConaughey and DiCaprio (both nominees btw) chest beating and humming the money chant song.

And the beat goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

You come out of semi-retirement and drag out that tired old, typical, liberal name-calling rant as your sole method of criticism? Not to mention the fact that you're taking the MCs comments out of context. Sandler's puppy analogy, based on a simple-minded first grade story, was nonetheless appropriate, albeit in an alarmingly stupid movie which you chose to extract if from. But the MC is such a well spoken purveyor of psychobabble he must be right, at least in the eyes of the sycophants who dare not venture into the realm of reason for their retorts.

I gotta admit, I may be unfair in laying my reaction at the feet of liberals alone, since redneck, religious racists and bigots have been using the same flawed ad hominem "logic" for millennia.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

This forum really needs Pickpocket to be around more. A much more entertaining dynamic!