"Black Mass"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Black Mass"

Post by kgbelliveau »

Johnny Depp is in top form and that proves to easily be the films biggest asset. With all these Hollywood players playing real life gangsters and FBI agents this film just keeps adding layers of depth that make it such an engaging and tense film. Depp once again proves he is much better with 3 dimensional characters and should stick to powerhouse performance like this one. Its still early yet in 2015 for films, but this has all the makings to be one of my top 5 films of the year.

This is Depp's best performance since the Rum Diary and his make-up and accent are creepy. Everyone plays their part and it was actually good to see. Director Scott Cooper did a fantastic job of re-creating 1970's and 1980's Boston and Florida.

P.S It was good to see that 50 Shades of Grey was not an indication that Dakota Johnson is a terrible actress. In the limited screen time she had in this film she excelled and was one of few who got the accent right.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Re: "Black Mass"

Post by Pickpocket »

I would like to discuss how a movie with a 53 million dollar budget can have such a god awful score. That was so strikingly awful it basically took me out of the movie. They would be blaring these loud fucking string instruments over people talking. And because it's these annoying Boston accents you can barely understand them already and now they are bombarding you with crap music too. I thought Johnny Depp was amazing in the role but it was about as standard of a gangster flick as you can get. They did a poor job explaining character motivations and maybe I'm just spoiled by all the great TV there is nowadays but this would've been way better as a mini series. John Connoly's motivations for helping Jimmy were unclear to me the entire movie. You grew up with him was the reason given constantly throughout which seems very weak. If they would've shown Jimmy saving his life or helping him in some way as a kid I would've understood that but simply growing up with someone is not a good enough reason to allow them to commit murder, sell drugs, etc etc. Both Scott Cooper movies I've seen I thought this should be way better but it isn't, I think the guy may just be incompetent

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Oh shit, now I've agreed with Pickpocket 2 or 3 times in a week. I need a drink. Oop, too late.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Stewball wrote:Oh shit, now I've agreed with Pickpocket 2 or 3 times in a week. I need a drink. Oop, too late.

This should make you feel better: drinking is for the weak

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Pickpocket wrote:
Stewball wrote:Oh shit, now I've agreed with Pickpocket 2 or 3 times in a week. I need a drink. Oop, too late.

This should make you feel better: drinking is for the weak

Yeah, I figured it was just a flash in the pan.

MontyCircus
2254 Ratings

Post by MontyCircus »

Isn't anyone else bothered that the only memorable scene in the film is a total ripoff of Joe Pesci's classic scene in "Goodfellas"?

And forget putting it on a list of great gangster flicks, this isn't even close to being the best film based on Whitey Bulger, that being the Oscar Best Picture winner "The Departed".