Where to Invade Next -- Moore is now the new Riefenstahl

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Neonman
2884 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Where to Invade Next -- Moore is now the new Riefenstahl

Post by Neonman »

I'm not the biggest fan of Michael Moore, but his latest doco has shown how far he's fallen. Funny to see him referencing propaganda (showing scenes from Triumph of the Will), given that this film will certainly, ten or fifty or a hundred years from now, be referred to as propaganda.

Moore has crafted a well-intended piece of anti-Amercanism, but bases it on a highly one-sided unmultifaceted view that America is actually an overall horrible place to live, and the countries (mostly from Europe, along with Tunisia) are glorious countries that are shit tons better than the US. This is a simplistic idea backed up only by anecdotal evidence, very few statistics appear, and Moore considers no variables in how the ideas of other countries might not translate well in America (given their geographical location on the map, higher population, different culture and customs).

At least Moore is able to identify problems AND offer us a solution. One solution is a simple one: grab a small hammer and just knock down the wall (like with the Berlin Wall). Moore moronically says this phrase to himself over and over, as if that's the ultimate solution to America's woes (but in this day and age of slacktivism, the simplest solution, though not the right solution, is the one most people want to try first). Another solution Moore offers is that women should have more jobs and more power in the world, then parades various women he met over his travels as if they're some amazing and mysterious new 21st century find that will solve all our problems -- again, a simple solution (Moore comes to this conclusion based on one story about a women-run bank that kept afloat during the recession).

And there's Moore absolutely fucking nut-job conspiracy theories about race and the prison system, which I wont' even get into here (and Moore hardly even gives much time to explain this section of the film, he's too busy sounding so fucking smug). Overall, I'd highly recommend everyone see this film, whether your left, right or centre. This is a doco everyone should experience so you can become privy to how insane Moore's ridiculously under-researched and badly comedic "documentaries" are, and how much worse they're getting.

dardan
1637 Ratings

Re: Where to Invade Next -- Moore is now the new Riefenstahl

Post by dardan »

Saying he is the new Riefenstahl goes way to far. Her documentaries had excellent cinematography, wasn't a meandering piece of shit and you know, the background was a bit different.

So far I have only seen his Bowling for Columbine, which I too reviewed in similar wordings:

Fear for crime has gone up despite actual crime going down everywhere, but due to a lack of consulting experts this is seen as being a uniquely American problem. It ends up being an amateuristic and meandering induction of mostly random individuals and otherwise non-scientists he comes across.

It's pretty impressive how, 14 years after shooting that piece of crap, he, ironically, has either learned absolutely nothing or simply refuses to change his ways. The only reason his docs are popular is precisely because their cherry-picked and anecdotal nature, allowing progressives who claim to love the scientific method to circlejerk over it, adding to the irony.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Where to Invade Next -- Moore is now the new Riefenstahl

Post by Stewball »

But Riefenstahl wasn't fat, much less way fat...or clinically obnoxious