The New Ghostbusters Movie

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JSchlansky
4293 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The New Ghostbusters Movie

Post by JSchlansky »

Got to see this a couple of days early. Apologies for the bad audio.

JSchlansky
4293 Ratings

Re: The New Ghostbusters Movie

Post by JSchlansky »

Also reviewed the original

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Look forward to watching your review later. The trailers made it look god-awful.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

I wonder if this could be a new thing, you know, they make these awesome trailers and the movie sucks big time, and you feel even more betrayed and consider much less of the movie, so, here, we have a shitty trailer, you want to see it, and you watch it with lowered expectations, so you think you like it more. Man, what a shitty sentence. It's kind of like the bad trailer of my great marketing idea. Anywho, whaddaya think? I mean, why else would they have a such a horrible trailer, it just doesnt make any sense.

JSchlansky
4293 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I don't think any movie's will do that intentionally, but I could see that being effective

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ok, I've been wanting to post in this thread for a while but didn't feel it was fair to until I made the time to watch brickwall's video review first. Having just done so, coincidentally it has added to the point I was going to make, so here goes ...

I went to this last weekend with my wife and my mom (separate people as I'm not from Tennessee ;) ) and thought it was absolutely dreadful. I had seen the terrible trailer and therefore my expectations were quite low but the film failed to reach even that benchmark in the end. Simply put, for a comedic blockbuster, the fact that I barely managed a smile the entire film was just astonishing to me. I just found it really unfunny. That's my own opinion, and I'm sure you'll all agree I'm entitled to it and of course everybody else is entitled to theirs. However what baffles me is that I'm seeing a lot of reasonably positive critic scores for this film but if you delve deeper into the reviews themselves they frequently read a lot worse than the ultimate rating. I found the exact same thing with your video review, brickwall. You gave a score of 53, a tier 5 for you (thank you criticker!) so it's a middle of the road one for you (your opinion, entitled to it, yadda yadda) but listening to you justly criticize the film far more than offer praise it sounded like the film should be at most around the 40 mark for you. Even the few positives you picked out sounded like you were reaching a little for them. You don't seem adverse to giving a film a really low score either, so I'm perplexed with the score you gave here ... which finally brings me to my point ("About time!", everyone shouts)

I can't help thinking that many of the critics reviewing the film really (and understandably) disliked the 'hate' that Ghostbusters received before release, and subsequently found it difficult to give the film a negative score, possibly in fear that they may end up being associated with the knuckle dragging misogynist internet trolls that were so vocal over the past few months. It was almost like they felt that a negative review, even with justification, might lend weight to side of the haters so they gave the film a pass publicly to distance themselves even though they couldn't go as far as to hide highlighting the faults in their review. My original intent was to ask if anyone else noticed/felt anything similar? However I'm now in the unexpected position where I can ask you directly for your thoughts in response, brickwall.

Just a clarification for the record, I honestly don't mean this as any form of attack on your review or even worse on you as a person. I know you from the Image Thread obviously and am honestly in awe of your film knowledge which is second to none (none being another name for Maaxwell for the purposes of this post), and while I've rarely made time to view many of your video posts, I'm impressed with your passion for cinema, and wish I had the ability, drive and balls to do stuff like that.

Oh and I meant to say earlier but I got sidetracked, my wife loved Ghostbusters (context alert: my wife loved Sandler's 'Just go with it') and my mom hated it.

JSchlansky
4293 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I didn't hate the movie, there were a few things to like but there were really buried under tripe. After further reflection I have actually gone back and adjusted my score, bumping down from a 53 to a 48. I don't think the film is absolutely terrible and without merit but it is certainly heavily flawed and I would go as far as to say 'kind of bad'. That being said I can understand the more positive reviews for the film. My co-host scored the film a good deal higher than I did and while I may not share the same opinion, I can understand why she enjoyed it more and the score she gave it is accurately reflective of her genuine feelings toward the film. The film isn't broken but is certainly proving to be very divisive. I'm sure people will move on and forget all about it in a few year, that is unless that sequels this film wants to have end up doing better in the public.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

I think a big factor for me here could be that this was the first of your video reviews that I've watched so I don't really have a reference point for your reviewing style. Personally if I'm scoring something around the 50 mark, it's because I disliked about as much as I liked and I would try to reflect that in a review by highlighting as many positives as I did negatives. Watching your review, from my perspective it seemed you spent far more time highlighting negatives than positives so when you eventually awarded GB a slightly positive score of 53 it was a surprise to me. However you've been able to justify your score above (even aside from the modest revision) so chances are that's just your own reviewing style which is fair enough.

Velvet Crowe
2626 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... WROBiX1eSc

A good video on the controversies of the movies.