The Accountant - Questions with spoilers

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Accountant - Questions with spoilers

Post by Stewball »

movieboy wrote:I saw the Accountant (Ben Afleck) on a flight recently, I had to fast forward parts of it so that I could finish the movie before the flight ended, so I couldn't figure out a few things.
[spoiler]- Why did Justine give info to Medina about Ben Afleck?
- I didn't get what exactly was the fraud happening at the Robotic company - why were embezzling & then pumping back the money?
- Was Ben Afleck a good guy or not? He was helping the cartels, right?
- What exactly did Medina lie about - which was used by her boss to blackmail her? I mean if it was her sealed juvi records - they are sealed, right? Did she have to disclose it in her application?
- How did Medina conclude her investigation - i.e. was Ben prosecuted?
- Why does Ben hit his legs and then do some kind of foam rolling on it afterwards?[/spoiler]

First off, you NEED to buy the CD or stream. There's a whole lot of stuff you must've missed, especially everything going on with the Pollock painting which they'd altered for the movie. There's a lot of excellent subtle humor. I saw this movie about 12 times while it was still in theaters.

Ray King gave info about Medina which he probably got from Chris/Justine. King genuinely wanted to find out who Chris/the Accountant was, for curiosity if nothing else. But Chris/Justine/Ray were drawing Media in. She was probably picked by Chris to be Ray's replacement. She was smart, tough and blackmailable.

The fraud, as Chris realized at a most inopportune moment (what, he couldn't put it off for 30 minutes), was a redo of the actual "Crazy Eddie and the Panama Pump" in the 80s, when they siphoned money off the books and made it look like it was "raining cash" as Dana put it. It's timed with an IPO so as to jack up the stock price. But as with most such schemes, they never stop to think how they're going to bail out.

They don't say this but Chris is basically a confidential informant. He doesn't really do anything wrong except he's not on record as such. Ray, and now Medina, are strictly off the books with him. Chris' brother is another story. He's a genuine cold blooded killer. He at least killed Lamar's sister though she was innocent. I think, if there's a sequel, Chris is going to take him in an (re?)-instill a sense of morality.d

Medina pistol whipped her sister's drug dealer and left him locked in a trunk. But she was a minor and her records were sealed. Another indication that he received them from Chris/Justine.

It doesn't show how she concluded it other than to expose the scheme. I'm sure she wouldn't have found anything that would (ahem) lead back to Chris.

That's a wood roller he uses on his leg to toughen his shins, and also help to overcome his autistic dislike for harsh physical feelings, and the same for the strobe, it being a bright light.

You do know who Justine is I presume?

Do you know the significance of the thermos?

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

I'm hitting my legs with the bluray of The Accountant. I'm gaining powers.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

BillyShears wrote:I'm hitting my legs with the bluray of The Accountant. I'm gaining powers.

No, no, no, use it on your head. Sooner or later you'll come to your senses. :roll:

movieboy wrote:But if it's a sealed record then why is it a felony to not mention it in her FBI application?

She still has to fess up on the application if she wants to apply for the job. She probably doesn't have to refer to the court case, just say what she did without reference to if (I don't know if it's illegal for her to actually do that or not since it's her case)--she's just stating facts from from her memory. Ray's probably the one on shaky ground if it comes to light that he has it. But it worked out and she's taking his place with Chris and the "Brit" in any case.

She was the girl at the autism doctor's place when Chris's father took him there. And was the daughter of the doctor/person who ran the institute. Was there anything more?

Yes, a big one. I won't spoil it, just watch the scene at the end again, when the autistic boy is in her room. For some reason I missed it myself the first time through, and I don't know why, it's very obvious.

Chris beat someone with it & dented it. Again, was there anything more?

He used it on a guard when he escaped from the Treasury detention center. Ray doesn't realize until he sees it at the Accountant's house that the Accountant and the escaped prisoner are the same person. It's the only evidence that ties them together. When he sees it there, in addition to the slightest glimmer of recognition, a single, barely audible bass note is sounded to emphasize it. The movie is nothing if not subtle.

As the tagline asks, "Do you like puzzles?" (a line spoken by the characters twice in the movie). The movie is a puzzle with many pieces, which we see face up, that I don't think anybody gets the first time through, including professional critics, none of whom saw the profound thing the Pollock painting, and probably nothing more than the superficial action, and thus rated it low. And it isn't singing the praises of Pollock, just the opposite. But only an art expert on Pollock would recognize it, or someone like myself who just happened to notice the small out of place anomaly (which enhances the autism theme of the movie), and then did a little Google research.

To call this an action movie is like calling Romeo and Juliette a romance novel.

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:

I started writing down answers to the so-called sins he lists but after finding only a couple of super mini-points which could be written off to clarity or time constraints, it became obvious that there are embedded explanations in the plot he doesn't see or ignores, or he is outright erroneous in his glib narrative. So rather than my finishing a point-by-point and typing it all in, I decided to take a different tack. Whyn't you pick 3 or 5 examples of what you think are the movie's worst sins and I'll be glad to address them. (Hint--don't pick the comic not being protected because his own clip shows that it was just a few seconds before he says it. I thought that was particularly juicy given the level of absurdity of so much of his accusations.)

On top of being so wrong, he, like a lot of critics, is uber-glib and is good at talking real fast so he can slip shit in under the radar--while ignoring or remaining totally unaware of the movie's outstanding points. And he either didn't notice the painting, or he did but didn't want to acknowledge it because it wouldn't fit in with his irrational it's-fun-to-hate agenda. Gotta be a liberal. 8-)

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

Stewball if you don't have rooms and room of notebooks filled with thoughts about The Accountant like John Doe in Seven I'm going to be very, very, VERY, disappointed.

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:Gotta be a liberal. 8-)

Perhaps he's just a guy doing a comedy show.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

BillyShears wrote:Stewball if you don't have rooms and room of notebooks filled with thoughts about The Accountant like John Doe in Seven I'm going to be very, very, VERY, disappointed.

Yeah but I think the management would object to me cutting and pasting my Accountantopedia here.

Maaxwell wrote:Perhaps he's just a guy doing a comedy show.

What, low brow slapstick? I take it that you agree that he's FOS? BTW, cheap shots are never funny except to those in the cheap seats.

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Stewball wrote:

What, low brow slapstick? I take it that you agree that he's FOS? BTW, cheap shots are never funny except to those in the cheap seats.

I thought slapstick was physical comedy? I can only assume FOS means "full of shit", and yes, a great many of the points he awards "sins" for are meant completely as a joke. His videos aren't meant to be taken as serious commentary.

And I'm not even sure who or what you're trying to disparage with that last sentence.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Maaxwell wrote:
Stewball wrote:

I thought slapstick was physical comedy? I can only assume FOS means "full of shit", and yes, a great many of the points he awards "sins" for are meant completely as a joke. His videos aren't meant to be taken as serious commentary.

And I'm not even sure who or what you're trying to disparage with that last sentence.

Slapstick because actual humor needs to have at least a kernel of truth. Snatching stuff out of thin air is unfunny and cheap since almost all of what he points out as being wrong, is wrong itself, yet it's out there in the Internet wind. If he wants to poke fun, pick on Titanic or An Inconvenient Truth or Avatar....you know, something down on his level. I'd like to see him do one on this years Oscar winner--but I'm sure he's afraid his PC lib buddies would have him wearing that Moonlight where the Sun never shines.