"Get Out"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Get Out"

Post by Stewball »

It started off as a modern take on "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" but gradually turned stagnant as the typical horror theme emerged. The Father summed up the underlying theme of the movie when he said he'd have voted for Obama a third time. There is some other good humor (not all intentional) included as well. 5/10

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Re: "Get Out"

Post by mattorama12 »

Stewball wrote:[It] gradually turned stagnant as the typical horror theme emerged

Finally got around to seeing this and a little surprised by this reaction. When you say "the typical horror theme," I'm not sure what you really mean. The theme of the movie isn't really one I've seen in many (any?) horror movies--i.e., the evil of benevolent racism. In fact, given your political views, I thought this would actually resonate with you. (And maybe that's what you meant by the Obama quote, but I'm not sure I understand that comment.)

Since this piqued my interest, I began wondering what horror movies you've enjoyed. Unfortunately, the bug with using a filter for other users' rankings is preventing me from checking that at all. I generally don't consider myself a big horror fan, but think the genre can be fantastic when it is used to comment on social ills (like The Shining with alcoholism and abuse or Black Swan with obsession and perfectionism).

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

mattorama12 wrote:
Stewball wrote:[It] gradually turned stagnant as the typical horror theme emerged

Finally got around to seeing this and a little surprised by this reaction. When you say "the typical horror theme," I'm not sure what you really mean. The theme of the movie isn't really one I've seen in many (any?) horror movies--i.e., the evil of benevolent racism. In fact, given your political views, I thought this would actually resonate with you. (And maybe that's what you meant by the Obama quote, but I'm not sure I understand that comment.)

Since this piqued my interest, I began wondering what horror movies you've enjoyed. Unfortunately, the bug with using a filter for other users' rankings is preventing me from checking that at all. I generally don't consider myself a big horror fan, but think the genre can be fantastic when it is used to comment on social ills (like The Shining with alcoholism and abuse or Black Swan with obsession and perfectionism).

The typical horror theme is having a progressive number of people start out as good or at least semi-normal, then turn out to be brain transplants or whatever sinister/monster/zombies. Rose's reveal was particularly overwrought. And the Obama comment was just another galling example of the soft bigotry of liberal's low expectations. i.e. voting for a looser for a third time for the same reason as the first two times, because he's black--when deep down, he's still a racist.

I don't consider Black Swan to be a horror movie, and though the Shining was a cut above the usual artificial suspense horror shtick, but still appeals the thrill of a blood lust I just don't possess.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Stewball wrote:The typical horror theme is having a progressive number of people start out as good or at least semi-normal, then turn out to be brain transplants or whatever sinister/monster/zombies.

Ahh, ok. I wouldn't really call that a "theme" so much as simply the concept behind horror films in general. But that makes sense. And since it's an almost-necessity of the genre, I get why the genre as a whole doesn't particularly interest you.

Stewball wrote:And the Obama comment was just another galling example of the soft bigotry of liberal's low expectations. i.e. voting for a looser for a third time for the same reason as the first two times, because he's black--when deep down, he's still a racist.

Yeah, but it wasn't just the quote. That was literally the theme of the entire movie and that is why I thought you might connect with the movie. But, alas, my movie referral instincts aren't up to snuff anymore. As it has been over a decade since I worked at Blockbuster, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

JakeAesthete
4206 Ratings

Post by JakeAesthete »

I'm looking forward to Keegan-Michael Key's forthcoming sequel ...And Stay Out.