"Baby Driver"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Baby Driver"

Post by Stewball »

I'm stoked to see this movie, hoping the movie itself lives up to the trailer. If it does, it could finally unseat the 49 year reigning king of drive/chase movies, Bullitt (though The Driver --1978 with Ryan O'Neal--came close). As his name implies, Ansel Elgort is no Steve McQueen, Baby is no Bullitt, and a Subaru WRX is no Mustang GT fastback, but I'm always up for thinking outside the box.

Another plus is music is very important to the script, with the action being choreographed to it to a large degree, I'm told:
https://filmink.com.au/2017/music-drivers-ed-baby-driver-set-edgar-wright/

After much digging I found this on two of the cars used, a Dodge Challenger and a Subaru WRX ???

It doesn't open until August, but a festival release has already generated a 9.0 on IMDB and 100% on R/T.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: "Baby Driver"

Post by Stewball »

With the latest trailer they've doubled down on the hype--and it's very possible they're going to live up to it. They even moved the opening up from August to June 28, next Wed.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

From the trailer this looked like it would be a fantastic car flick.

But man what a stinker it turned out to be. The lead actor was so bad he single-handedly ruined every scene he was in (and he was in far too many). So many useless/filler scenes with no cars, no action, just a bad actor drawing out the runtime. He was actually even worse than the lead actor from Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, and that's saying something. Mind you the rest of the cast was mostly excellent in Baby Driver, especially Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx (Spacey was decent too). But they have so little screen time relative to the lead that even four of Hollywood's most bankable actors combined couldn't save this picture. The action choreography was terrible too, in my opinion, with the budget obviously far too small for production team's ambitions. All the action sequences look like they were pared down at the last minute to save cash. So many cuts in the chase sequences you can't even really tell what's going on, likely to hide the fact that there actually isn't much going on. And then the mostly terrible music was the cherry on top of this turd sundae.

I suppose I should acknowledge that the trailer was very well done, as it successfully conned me into watching this trash in theatres when I couldn't find a non-3D evening showing of Wonder Woman.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

nauru wrote:From the trailer this looked like it would be a fantastic car flick.

But man what a stinker it turned out to be. The lead actor was so bad he single-handedly ruined every scene he was in (and he was in far too many). So many useless/filler scenes with no cars, no action, just a bad actor drawing out the runtime. He was actually even worse than the lead actor from Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, and that's saying something. Mind you the rest of the cast was mostly excellent in Baby Driver, especially Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx (Spacey was decent too). But they have so little screen time relative to the lead that even four of Hollywood's most bankable actors combined couldn't save this picture. The action choreography was terrible too, in my opinion, with the budget obviously far too small for production team's ambitions. All the action sequences look like they were pared down at the last minute to save cash. So many cuts in the chase sequences you can't even really tell what's going on, likely to hide the fact that there actually isn't much going on. And then the mostly terrible music was the cherry on top of this turd sundae.

I suppose I should acknowledge that the trailer was very well done, as it successfully conned me into watching this trash in theatres when I couldn't find a non-3D evening showing of Wonder Woman.

OK, like I said before, Ansel Elgort is no Steve McQueen, but you've way overstated your case. The non-special effects driving sequences were outstanding, and you really lost all credibility by criticizing the music--not to mention mentioning Wonder Woman (zzzz) in any way favorably in comparison to this. (Choreography?...really???)

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Yeah, this was one of the best movies of the year. I've listened to Radar Love almost daily for weeks now.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote:Yeah, this was one of the best movies of the year. I've listened to Radar Love almost daily for weeks now.

Yeah, who knew machine guns could be used as musical instruments. And BD was in my top three, but just got topped by Wind River. Hey, I know....combine the two, ahem, Baby WinDriver.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Yeah, Jon Bernthal is getting into some really good films. I don't know if I liked Wind River more than Baby Driver or not. I know that I haven't scored Wind River yet, but I gave Baby Driver a 90. That score will probably drop over time as the effect of the film wears off, so I guess Wind River will have a longer lasting impact on me. I certainly won't be forgetting it. Damn, that movie is not a happy film. I saw it two months ago and I still don't feel comfortable scoring it.

djross
5316 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

90sCoffee
2237 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

That was a weird movie, it was as shallow yet semi-enjoyable as music videos it was modeled after.

The worse for me (outside of that kid turning out to be such a weak character as it went on), was the weird and random u-turn Kevin Spacey's character did from threatening the kid and his gf's life to then helping him and willing to die for him.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote:Yeah, this was one of the best movies of the year. I've listened to Radar Love almost daily for weeks now.

Have you listened to S&G's Baby Driver. The singing is some of their best and the lyrics, once you figure out it's solid sexual references, are a real hoot. "My daddy was a prominent frog man", "My mama was an engineer", "What's my number, I wonder how your engines feel." 8-)