Sandy Wexler (2017)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Mentaculus
3438 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Sandy Wexler (2017)

Post by Mentaculus »

After some baffling and conflicting media coverage on Adam Sandler's recent Sandy Wexler, I decided to take a stab at it and wasn't a) terribly disappointed I wasted my time on a film with no redeeming qualities and 2) terribly offended. It's nowhere near a masterpiece, to be sure: it's far too long and full of strung-out vignettes, and Sandler's character is supposed to be irritating. But it had its moments and its merits scattered throughout - if anyone has ever spent time talking to aging Jewish hustlers living on the outskirts of fame in Hollywood, it brings out some primitive feels. It's like The Giving Tree for Woody Allen wannabes, and frankly, is top tier Adam Sandler, which is certainly a low bar, but credit where credit's due.

When I went on this site it recommended 10 out of 100. 10. I mean, 10 is reserved for films on MST3K and films that sweep the Razzies, or films that have Rob Schneider in a headlining role. My score for Wexler is not even that high (T5), and I seem to be one of three sorry souls inching Green. This got me thinking: is Sandy Wexler the kind of film that appeals to no one? Is it too character-driven and melancholy for regular Sandler fans, while most everyone else simply dismisses the work out of hand?