Twin Peaks Season 3

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JSchlansky
4287 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Twin Peaks Season 3

Post by JSchlansky »

Very excited that this is finally out, I plan on reviewing every episode, the first 2 and episodes 3 and 4 are grouped together in the way that they air so I'm reviewing those together. The new season is very different from the original series, I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Re: Twin Peaks Season 3

Post by 3dRevelation »

I gave Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me another chance and my opinion hasn't much changed. I still find it a mess of a film even after watching the first 2 seasons. The first two episodes of the reboot aren't as bad, but I'm kind of disappointed. For me, there were a lot of WTF moments, which maybe shouldn't surprise me. I liked the original series, but I think I was probably less enthusiastic about it than the majority. Most of my favorite moments were more pertaining to Laura Palmer's mystery and all the plot lines within Twin Peaks. I could for the most part (at least in the series) get past the bizarre moments, but my impression from the new episodes is that I am going to find it increasingly difficult to do. I had no idea they were making 18 episodes (I thought it was more like 8 or 9), so I'm not sure I will be able to make it through depending on where the series goes.

There are elements I'm interested in, but the likelihood that they will be wrapped up satisfactorily is probably negligible. Of course it will be interesting to see all the returning cast and newcomers. Some random thoughts:

- I felt that the episode was missing Dale Cooper's charm. I think it will eventually show up, but didn't notice it much in the first two episodes (of course that could also be because of the long-haired Cooper being still possessed by Bob). I didn't really get the humor here either. The neighbor in South Dakota seemed to be in the vein of the Coens' Fargo, which I'm not a fan of.

- It will be interesting to see how they handle the characters that didn't return. The actor who played Bob died not long after the original run, so I'm not sure if they are using the long-haired Cooper as a stand in. There's also Philip Jeffries, as you mentioned, who was played by Bowie in the film. Not sure if the character will appear in physical form or just as a voice. I also found myself missing Sheriff Truman. The whole thing about there being two Sheriff Trumans went over my head.

-There seems to be multiple (3 to 4?) plot lines going on right now. The one most interesting to me right now is probably the murder in South Dakota. There's not much to the Las Vegas plot line right now, but I'm interested as it seems like the Las Vegas Man might have something to do with the long-haired Cooper story. Of course, there's also the setting in Twin Peaks itself, which IMO outside of seeing the return of myriad characters, I felt wasn't very satisfying. The new form of the Man from another place was definitely something I couldn't get past. Plus, there's that damn horse again, that was seen in the film. Lastly, there is the New York setting, which so far is my least favorite. Somehow it feels even more bizarre than the Black Lodge stuff. I feel like somehow that plot line is going to end up with Aliens involved or something.

I think my enjoyment will depend on which plot lines take precedence over the others. I think for me I'd prefer a murder mystery/noir with occasional odd elements and the feel of the original series, but I feel like what I will get is a lot of WTF moments with mystery elements interspersed that will only serve to leave more questions.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

3dRevelation wrote:I had no idea they were making 18 episodes (I thought it was more like 8 or 9)

The new run was initially ordered for 9 episodes then was doubled. The new season was shot like a giant movie and cut into episodes only in the editing process.
3dRevelation wrote:- I felt that the episode was missing Dale Cooper's charm. I think it will eventually show up, but didn't notice it much in the first two episodes

I agree that Cooper's charm is missing. On one hand I hope it does eventually show up once he is out of his funk, but I do think it would be pretty hard for him to slide back into the charming personality of the original series given the developments and tone thus far.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

Review of episodes 3 and 4

oh by the way, quick mention here, my Youtube channel is now sponsored by Audible so if anyone wants to give audible a try you can go to audibletrial.com/brickwall and you'll get a free month subscription to Audible and a free audio book. They actually have a couple Twin Peaks audio books including The Secret History of Twin Peaks written by Mark Frost which I plan on listening to myself

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

watched the first 2 last night - doesn't half make me feel like we're just strange meat marionettes controlled by an insidious other

i thought the computer interface was funny!

here's the soundscape i made using audacity. i watched stalker, then TP a couple of days later and felt i should do my own fingerpainty version of what i'm hearing. it's quick/fun/free if anyone wants to have a bash. you can get sounds from freesound.org

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

paulofilmo wrote:here's the soundscape i made using audacity. i watched stalker, then TP a couple of days later and felt i should do my own fingerpainty version of what i'm hearing. it's quick/fun/free if anyone wants to have a bash. you can get sounds from freesound.org

That's a pretty good soundscape, I dig it

karamazov.
1727 Ratings

re: Twin Peaks Season 3

Post by karamazov. »

Cool. Left ye a comment on the second one.

This season is very distinct from those previous in how it's so very blatantly self-referential to Lynch's entire filmography outside of TP,-- I remember for example noticing intimations of "The Grandmother," "Eraserhead," LH, MD, and IE-- so no doubt some crazy fools are already compiling obsessive lists and charts, to the detriment of their pitiful health and sanity.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

Episode 5

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

felt the absence of the experimental in this one. but i did like Dr. J's rant - reminded me of brother theadore

"As Long as There Is Death, There Is Hope"

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

Well, this show sure is a different beast to the original series. Doesn't have the somewhat linear and focused plotline of the original, nor the soap opera element -- instead it's got very impenetrable plotlines and characters going on all over the place and the tone is usually very dark and nowhere near as lighthearted. Feels more like Lynch remade Lost Highway instead of Twin Peaks.

I can see how people are going to be disappointed by how different this is, but I'm not one of them, I think this may be even better than the original show. It's quite a wonder to watch and never dull. I'm wondering about how all these plotlines are going to come together, but knowing Lynch, I'm sure they won't exactly -- it'll be more about being taken on this nightmarish adventure.