Patriots Day

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Xenophule
355 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Patriots Day

Post by Xenophule »

Watch: Matine or Netflix

I was originally against Patriots Day on the grounds of "Too Soon!" and "Why is Hollywood trying to make money off this‽"

Truthfully: it doesn't feel like a money grab in the slightest. It feels like they're truthfully telling the story of what happened; blood and all. I actually didn't know about some of the things that happened. There's no swelling music or jump-scares, just the right tone of soundtrack to keep you on edge the whole time.

After typing that I went to see how accurate the movie is.
The ONLY inaccuracies: Marky Mark is a composite character of many officers, and the MIT officer that got shot didn't have a budding romance (it was put in to help us relate).

I was actually moved by the end. Teared up a little (don't tell my wife!)

Last bit:

"Some of the survivors who were initially against the film changed their minds after seeing it. This included Marc Fucarile (not represented in the movie), who lost his leg in the bombing. "Surprisingly it was really good," he said in an interview on Kirk & Callahan."

nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Patriots Day

Post by nauru »

Pretty much my reaction as well. I was amazed at not only the accuracy, but also at how much of the story I hadn't heard before -- despite following news reports at the time.

Mark Wahlberg was of course brilliant, as he's been consistently for the last 15+ years. Anyone impressed by Patriots Day may enjoy Deepwater Horizon as well. Same director, same star, same high intensity, same high production value, and also based on true events whose details were glossed over in the news.