"The Hero"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"The Hero"

Post by Stewball »

Until this, I'd considered his role as Virgil Earp in Tombstone as his best performance in his now 47 year career in movies. And as best I can tell, this is his first leading role in all that time. Maybe it's the writing, or directing or inherent ability, I don't know, but he hits his stride with this role and never looks back. I flat out can't think of another actor who could have pulled off playing the 72 year old male lead (his actual age) vs the the very striking 37 year old Laura Prepon (her actual age though she looks younger) making it believable with the grace and panache he displays--and which I think he helped enable in her.
This is a dialogue driven drama (I hear the groans), but every once in a while a movie reaches out past its target audience and genre, to something a much wider audience can appreciate--maybe even teenagers (gasp); but you'd have to force feed it to their brains a la Alex in A Clockwork Orange, at least initially.
Scenes I'd like to see: Sam Elliott accepting the Oscar for this. What WOULD he say?
8/10

FWIW, I just checked, this has an IMDb rating mean of 7.6, with 30% rating it a 10, Metascore 62.
R/T rates it a certified fresh 80%, with an audience 84% "liked".
And though the numbers aren't enough to be significant yet, the group that rated it the highest were those under 18???? with females liking it only slightly better than males.