The Raid: Redemption (2012) and The Raid 2: Berandal

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JSchlansky
4287 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Raid: Redemption (2012) and The Raid 2: Berandal

Post by JSchlansky »

I consider these the gold standard of not just modern action, but all action filmmaking. Eagerly anticipating The Raid 3, hoping the American Raid remake gets cancelled.

I think this is my longest straight up video review

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: The Raid: Redemption (2012) and The Raid 2: Berandal

Post by paulofilmo »

i loved the hobo sleeper assassin - he was somehow legendary without being cartoonish. whereas some of the other baddies were a bit indonesian knock-offs of tarantino; something raid 1 didn't have to worry about with all that delicious streamlined neck violence.

BUT generally the craft of raid 2 and mad max have been some of the most exuberant and inventive i've seen since buster keaton. and on a fifth of the budget of john wick. i also loved how menacing the father figure was. the paragon of diplomacy, i was completely convinced he'd done terrible, horrible things in his past.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Re: The Raid: Redemption (2012) and The Raid 2: Berandal

Post by JSchlansky »

Yes, Tarantino surely had some influence. There is at least one interview I can recall where Gareth Evans mentions Martin Scorsese as an influence on The Raid 2 which is prevalent given the gangster territory. It's hard to make any gangster film without some influence from Scorsese.