Wind River

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Wind River

Post by Stewball »

Magnificent indeed. Renner at the top of his craft, and Elizabeth Olson, about who I was concerned, was well cast as the green FBI agent, whose character comes through when the situation required it. Bernthal has a very small part. Graham Green and Gil Birmingham are perfect mixes of stoicism and Indian humor. The Utah (made to look like Wyoming) weather has a major role as well, although I never knew if it was following direction or doing it improv.
The story is an intense drama with action to match, based on actual events on the Wind River Indian Reservation which has a per capita crime rate that makes Chicago look like Mayberry. The climax was set up so suddenly it actually added an element of lethal humor to it. It definitely has a similar flavor to Hell or High Water in which Sheridan acted, only better.
I noted the absence of any disclaimer about any animals being hurt. I don't know if that's still routinely being put in the credits or not, but I don't think it would apply here, though it was about an animal being hunted, Renner's characters job. 95/100

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Re: Wind River

Post by kgbelliveau »

Wind River is probably my favorite film so far in 2017. The story is simple enough yet holds enough power to keep you invested the eventual "whodunnit" reveal. Plus like you said the weather plays a huge role whether directed or improvised it looks and felt real.

Bernthal may have had the smallest scene in the movie but he stole the show with such powerful acting in such a quick scene that held so much meaning in the films narrative.

I also score it 95/100.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Wind River

Post by Stewball »

Yeah, it turns out the weather was improv, and at times a major obstacle.

I thought the two scenes between Renner and Gil Birmingham (how's that for an Indian name) were outstanding, especially the scene at the end:

"What's with the paint?"
"It's my death mask."
"How did he go out?"
"With a whimper."

7 weeks, at its highest number of theaters (2890), and with a domestic gross of over $32 mil on an $11 mil budget--no thanks to anything but word-of-mouth "marketing".