"The Only Living Boy in New York"--Another masterpiece from Marc Webb.

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"The Only Living Boy in New York"--Another masterpiece from Marc Webb.

Post by Stewball »

This is a movie that hits many of the same notes and soul-chords as "Like Sunday, Like Rain"--character, plot and dialogue driven low budget Indies, both well cast (Yes even Pierce Brosnan), but with no obligatory high octane action scenes, both inexplicably rated R, with low ratings (besides a few like mine), all leading to a low box office. I especially like Jeff Bridges' on screen character and voice over narration. Of all the outstanding scenes, the initial confrontation between Kate Beckinsale and Callum Turner's characters is exquisite. And it's loaded with gems like the revelation scene near the end in the bar, and Uncle Buster who sobers up while delivering a wedding tribute which goes from face-palms to expressions of profound awe from the listeners. This is the second of Marc Webb's movies I've rated 10/10 (also "500 Days of Summer") and is only the 18th film (out of 8000+ I've seen) that I've rated at that pinnacle. He also released "Gifted" this year, which I thought was an 8. But in between then and now, he did two high budget, low class superhero movies which I'll leave unmentioned. (You can look them up yourself if you really need to know, or think 8-legged arthropod.)
Disclaimer: for those who may be thinking I'm anti-action, some of my 10s are "The Accountant", The Counselor, Gladiator, Inception, Undisputed and Zero Dark Thirty". Maybe not your particular cup-o-action, but u c what'm sayin'.
Kudos for the movies Amazon Studios is putting out. But if they keep growing, they may need an Indy brand soon. 10/10
Last edited by Stewball on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Another masterpiece from Marc Webb.

Post by Stewball »

I see Criticker has two ratings thus far, besides mine: 28 & 30. Guess I'm even more of an outlier than usual--which of course means......well, nevermind.

tonydal
2316 Ratings

Post by tonydal »

Frankly, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

tonydal wrote:Frankly, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Oops, your bluntness is deserved, my face it red, and the title in the OP amended.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: "The Only Living Boy in New York"--Another masterpiece from Marc Webb.

Post by Stewball »

This movie is now on Amazon Prime 4K. No BluRay in sight though.

If you care about cinematic art, go see it. If not, don't. 8-)