Lady Bird

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
JSchlansky
4287 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Lady Bird

Post by JSchlansky »

Frank
1239 Ratings

Re: Lady Bird

Post by Frank »

I saw this yesterday after seeing the Criticker recommendation and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. There was no point in the movie where I found myself bored or wanting it to end; the story was simple one about self-discovery and coming of age, but it worked well.

PrestoBix
2379 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

Frank wrote: There was no point in the movie where I found myself bored or wanting it to end

Yep. The film was edited very succinctly. Perhaps it's best achievement actually.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Not out my way till Feb 9 :cry:

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Another middling teen girl coming-of-age repeat with a docile father, misguided bitch of a mother, and a couple of completely obvious, irrelevant, dropped into the plot gay threads for a ratings/awards boost. 6/10.

PrestoBix
2379 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

Stewball wrote:Another middling teen girl coming-of-age repeat with a docile father, misguided bitch of a mother, and a couple of completely obvious, irrelevant, dropped into the plot gay threads for a ratings/awards boost. 6/10.

Pretty cynical read of the movie.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

PrestoBix wrote:
Stewball wrote:Pretty cynical read of the movie.

Well yeah, but there are two kinds of cynicism, false and true. If the Truth hurts, it's the latter, and
I only deal in that--much to the false cynicism of my detractors who can only mumble and sigh. 8-)

PrestoBix
2379 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

Stewball wrote:
PrestoBix wrote:
Stewball wrote:Pretty cynical read of the movie.

Well yeah, but there are two kinds of cynicism, false and true. If the Truth hurts, it's the latter, and
I only deal in that--much to the false cynicism of my detractors who can only mumble and sigh. 8-)

Haha, ok. I always wanna give the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I thought the gay thread was the most touching part of the film. I went from feeling from Lady Bird's perspective and being mad at the kid for cheating/lying to her, and in a second realized that his life is whole lot harder than hers, and sympathizing with him.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

PrestoBix wrote:
Stewball wrote:
PrestoBix wrote:

Haha, ok. I always wanna give the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I thought the gay thread was the most touching part of the film. I went from feeling from Lady Bird's perspective and being mad at the kid for cheating/lying to her, and in a second realized that his life is whole lot harder than hers, and sympathizing with him.

I could agree with you if the movie had been made 50 years ago. But it's become such a cliché, and with homosexuality so open, there's hardly a TV sit-com made without it--thus cheapening its impact further every time it's used, whether to meaningful purpose or not.

PrestoBix
2379 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

Stewball wrote:
PrestoBix wrote:
Stewball wrote:

I could agree with you if the movie had been made 50 years ago. But it's become such a cliché, and with homosexuality so open, there's hardly a TV sit-com made without it--thus cheapening its impact further every time it's used, whether to meaningful purpose or not.

I don't think it's healthy to require originality in the narrative in order for a film to be good. Films are (in this instance) supposed to be a reflection of real life and real when you are trying to paint an accurate portrayal of the human condition, of course the same things are going to be said twice. When portraying real life I think all consideration of how original something is needs to be thrown out the window, and we instead need to judge the film on how accurate the portrayal is and how genuine it feels.