Ratings--WTF?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Ratings--WTF?

Post by Stewball »

So Denzel Washington got a Golden Globe nomination for Roman J. Israel, Esq. So...did I misread Hollywood's reaction? There was nothing to misread, the reviews were there. Then what, I ask, is going on, a change of heart? Possibly, but it happened awfully fast. And of course Lady Bird was nominated for best musical or comedy, but not Greta Gerwig. Go figure. I don't think anyone in Hollywood has figured out what they're supposed to think about RJI. 8-)

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Ratings--WTF?

Post by VinegarBob »

I just watched the trailer for Roman J. Israel, Esq. and it looks like generic pish to me. I don't think I'll bother watching it as it's a movie I've seen a hundred times already.

As to the nominations, call me cynical but I really don't think they count for much. Getting Golden Globes/Oscars is more often to do with who you know, where you are in the Hollywood hierarchy, how often you've been nominated previously without winning, how liked you are by your peers, the current political climate...and so on.

I don't think the Golden Globes are taken as seriously as the Oscars (which are themselves becoming a bit of a laughing stock), so I don't think anyone really cares who wins what at that ceremony. Nobody remembers who won Golden Globes years down the line. Denzel may win the Golden Globe (although I'd be betting on Gary Oldman) but if he does it doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the movie - which wasn't nominated.

Denzel missed his best chance at glory last year with his performance in Fences. If he gets recognised this year it'll be at least partly due to his losing last year (see above). Awards season is amusing, and says a lot about who's who in Hollywood and the current trends in American mainstream thinking, but not much more than that.