Last Flag Flying

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
PrestoBix
2378 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Last Flag Flying

Post by PrestoBix »

Finally got to see Last Flag Flying last night. Anyone else seen it?

I felt this was a good example of what happens when Linklater's technique of plotless dialogue fails him. My brother told me "to imagine how bad that movie would have been if it hadn't had its veteran cast." This is a great point, because it really skates by on the skills of its leads. The script really could have used some revisions. There are entire scenes that really ought to have been dropped, and much of the dialogue is neither interesting, nor realistic in a meaningful way.

That said, the cast is terrific - especially Cranston, even if Carrel and Fishbourne are pretty one-note.

Given Linklater's last two mediocre outings, I'm really hoping he returns to form with his next film.

Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Last Flag Flying

Post by Stewball »

PrestoBix wrote:Finally got to see Last Flag Flying last night. Anyone else seen it?

I felt this was a good example of what happens when Linklater's technique of plotless dialogue fails him. My brother told me "to imagine how bad that movie would have been if it hadn't had its veteran cast." This is a great point, because it really skates by on the skills of its leads. The script really could have used some revisions. There are entire scenes that really ought to have been dropped, and much of the dialogue is neither interesting, nor realistic in a meaningful way.

That said, the cast is terrific - especially Cranston, even if Carrel and Fishbourne are pretty one-note.

Given Linklater's last two mediocre outings, I'm really hoping he returns to form with his next film.

Plotless??? And the dialogue was great. The scene in the baggage car alone was outstanding and funny as hell. But most people apparently agree with you, so now the only place to find good dialogue is the Indies--and if it gets any worse that'll probably die out. They've had several tremendous dialogue movies besides this lately, which don't rely on action, two of which are masterpieces IMNTBHO, and I don't use that word loosely