Star Wars: The Last Jedi

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Post by livelove »

kgbelliveau wrote:the Last Jedi destroyed my interest in the future of the series. […] In fact it closed all the doors that had previously been opened with the Force Awakens […] what the hell is left for Episode 9 to even explore?

While I do understand you, generally, what you just mentioned is less of a problem in my eyes.
When doors close and chapters end, new (and better — from your point of view) chapters can be written.

kgbelliveau wrote:He disregarded the one story line with Rey and her parents that actually meant something.

The 100 Reys scene was a strong one IMO. Letting an intriguing mystery linger — especially in the way it was done, namely by adding to it — can sometimes be better than a bad explanation/resolution. This was the case here, if you ask me.

kgbelliveau wrote:He had ample time to create a better way to handle Leia moving forward yet chose to for some reason leave that open ended.

Can you give us some ideas or an example of what you would have expected ?

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

With Leia I feel like it would have been good to end her story here if at all possible. I know the logistics of having done this may have proved difficult but it could have been something worth exploring.

Either that or at least create a plotline that gives her an easy exit from Episode 9. Killing her in space could have solved this. Setting her up to die off screen is just such a disgrace to the character. That seems like the inevitable solution at this point does it not?

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

kgbelliveau wrote:With Leia I feel like it would have been good to end her story here […] Killing her in space could have solved this.

I grew up with in fell in love with the original trilogy, so I don't want Han, Luke or Leia to die.
But if it had to be ... if she had been killed by her son, emotionally it would have been a very powerful moment — very much on par with "I am your father" — and it sure would have been a rather original plot, not something overdone a million of times.

Otherwise, sacrificing herself via "hyperspace jump attack" would have been a honourable ending. But, as has been pointed out before in this thread, it raises the legitimate question of why this kind of attack has never been done, not even by a droid-piloted spacecraft.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

livelove wrote:Otherwise, sacrificing herself via "hyperspace jump attack" would have been a honourable ending. But, as has been pointed out before in this thread, it raises the legitimate question of why this kind of attack has never been done, not even by a droid-piloted spacecraft.

Perhaps all this is narrowed down to lazy writing on part of all the previous writers in the franchise. It would have been a much more ground breaking scene had it been Leia be the one to do it. Visually it looked fantastic on screen but emotionally it help no weight whatsoever in the film. However had it been Leia and Luke communicating on the space craft as opposed to the bunker it would have held much more emotion. We all know there is no way to replace Carrie Fisher and it wont likely happen so I figured General Leia should have at least received an on screen exit from the Star Wars universe.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

kgbelliveau wrote:It would have been a much more ground breaking scene had it been Leia be the one to do it.

That's why I suggested it (as my second preference).

kgbelliveau wrote:General Leia should have at least received an on screen exit from the Star Wars universe.

Agreed.

When I first saw TLJ, I was shocked to see Leia die ... and relieved to realize a few seconds later that in fact she hadn't died. But the almost-dead-Leia-force-pulling-herself-back-into-the-ship-scene was painful to watch. It was supposed to be a somber moment, but I couldn't help laughing in the theater as the scene was sooo terribly bad — like straight out of Spaceballs kinda bad. :roll:

It took a while to accept what I had just seen, but once I was over it, I felt relieved that she survived and got a second chance to shine in the film ... except that she didn't. I don't really remember any particularly important moment she had during the rest of the film — nothing of real importance or consequence.

And the reunion of Luke and Leia was terrible. No chemistry at all between the actors (although they were supposed to be close in real life, weren't they?). It was supposed to be a heart-warming moment, but it was clinical and stone-cold.

Finally, what feels really cynical: Leia is the only survivor of the old trio, although she has left uns in real life — whereas Ford and Hamill still live but their characters are dead.

Personally, I think it's a shame. They should have continued to be given a role, given how lucky we are that they are still alive after all these years since the original trilogy.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

kgbelliveau wrote:General Leia should have at least received an on screen exit from the Star Wars universe.

Agreed.

When I first saw TLJ, I was shocked to see Leia die ... and relieved to realize a few seconds later that in fact she hadn't died. But the almost-dead-Leia-force-pulling-herself-back-into-the-ship-scene was painful to watch. It was supposed to be a somber moment, but I couldn't help laughing in the theater as the scene was sooo terribly bad — like straight out of Spaceballs kinda bad. :roll:

It took a while to accept what I had just seen, but once I was over it, I felt relieved that she survived and got a second chance to shine in the film ... except that she didn't. I don't really remember any particularly important moment she had during the rest of the film — nothing of real importance or consequence.

Finally, what feels really cynical: Leia is the only survivor of the old trio, although she has left uns in real life — whereas Ford and Hamill still live but their characters are dead. [/quote]

There are a lot of rumours that Harrison Ford himself asked to be written out way back in Return of the Jedi and was denied that request. I guess they felt this was the time to finally do that.

As for Leia I feel the same way you did. That given Carries passing I thought she would most definitely be the highlight. There was so much talk during production for this film about everything. Luke and Leia reunion. How Leia moves on without Han and it definitely seems like they had bigger things planned for her in episode 9.

The space force scene was the first time in my life where majority of the theatre laughed openly at Star Wars because of how bad it was (I saw the prequels in theatres as a young child). It felt like such a cheesy thing to introduce especially given the fact we can now no longer see it develop futher. Had the movie been mine to write I would have definitely handled things much differetly. Kylo is the only thing I would probably leave the same.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

kgbelliveau wrote:

[quote/]

Agreed.

Finally, what feels really cynical: Leia is the only survivor of the old trio, although she has left uns in real life — whereas Ford and Hamill still live but their characters are dead.

There are a lot of rumours that Harrison Ford himself asked to be written out way back in Return of the Jedi and was denied that request. I guess they felt this was the time to finally do that.

As for Leia I feel the same way you did. That given Carries passing I thought she would most definitely be the highlight. There was so much talk during production for this film about everything. Luke and Leia reunion. How Leia moves on without Han and it definitely seems like they had bigger things planned for her in episode 9.

The space force scene was the first time in my life where majority of the theatre laughed openly at Star Wars because of how bad it was (I saw the prequels in theatres as a young child). It felt like such a cheesy thing to introduce especially given the fact we can now no longer see it develop futher. Had the movie been mine to write I would have definitely handled things much differetly. Kylo is the only thing I would probably leave the same.[/quote]

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

kgbelliveau wrote:...I couldn't help laughing in the theater as the scene was sooo terribly bad...

This is how I felt about the whole movie.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

kgbelliveau wrote:The space force scene was the first time in my life where majority of the theatre laughed openly at Star Wars because of how bad it was

I mean, think of it, she was like "triple dead": frozen to death, asphyxiated and already killed by the blast anyway ... but then she "wakes up" and force-glides through space ... oh boy, that hurts, literally.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

I don't blame Rian Johnson anymore, I blame whoever had the decision making power and for some reason saw his resume and thought he'd be a good fit for directing a space sci-fi adventure film, that's who's at fault.