Molly's Game

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Molly's Game

Post by kgbelliveau »

Razor sharp dialogue and precise focus from Aaron Sorkin in his directorial debut. Chastain was sensational layering Molly Bloom with both tenacity and mystery. Her narrative is what drives the film forward a long with the chemistry and scenes she shares with Idris Elba. A fantastic high stakes drama with some great characters. It flies by right from the opening scene and never lets up thanks to the talented supporting cast who come and go to mirror the rise and fall of real life.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Molly's Game

Post by Stewball »

kgbelliveau wrote:Razor sharp dialogue and precise focus from Aaron Sorkin in his directorial debut. Chastain was sensational layering Molly Bloom with both tenacity and mystery. Her narrative is what drives the film forward a long with the chemistry and scenes she shares with Idris Elba. A fantastic high stakes drama with some great characters. It flies by right from the opening scene and never lets up thanks to the talented supporting cast who come and go to mirror the rise and fall of real life.

I agree, 9/10. Jessica Chastain and Mark Wahlberg are the best rapid fire dialogue people in the business, though Whalberg rarely gets cast that way (see The Departed).

PrestoBix
2378 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

Holy mother of excessive voice over. It took what was a great film and just ruined it. I am also not amused by biting condescension coming from the characters and Sorkin, especially when it's going from the narrator to the audience. It was the first time I felt like a movie thought it was smarter than me. Huge turn off.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

PrestoBix wrote:Holy mother of excessive voice over. It took what was a great film and just ruined it. I am also not amused by biting condescension coming from the characters and Sorkin, especially when it's going from the narrator to the audience. It was the first time I felt like a movie thought it was smarter than me. Huge turn off.

What defines "excessive" voice over? In any case, I thought she enhanced the presentation as it imparts a sense of personal connection. Kevin Spacey perfected the on screen variety in House of Cards which kept the critics at bay, I wonder why? We are all the time being harangued about the violation of some some artificial scale of holy purity, I guess because it's perceived as an easy stone to throw.