My new all time favorite poster--Deadpool 2

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

My new all time favorite poster--Deadpool 2

Post by Stewball »

Saw this last Monday as the featured poster at my local theater. An instant new favorite for me, but will what is almost certain to be seen as profane, while sporting another probable "R" rating, cut into the box office? Not on my account. If I'd seen this anywhere else I'd have thought it was a joke. Opens May 18.

Velvet Crowe
2600 Ratings

Re: My new all time favorite poster--Deadpool 2

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Meh, I've seen this artwork parodied countless times in the past. This poster doesn't strike me as particularly impressive.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

None being foisted on the public with this much chutzpah. And it's gotta be the most original/clever way to announce a sequel.

law
1854 Ratings

Post by law »

It's mildly amusing if you understand the references but "heretical" art in general was already passe a decade ago in the West. Even religious folk barely get riled up by this stuff anymore. It seems strangely out of touch for Deadpool's usually "hip" marketing. Sorry to disagree. :P

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

law wrote:It's mildly amusing if you understand the references but "heretical" art in general was already passe a decade ago in the West. Even religious folk barely get riled up by this stuff anymore. It seems strangely out of touch for Deadpool's usually "hip" marketing. Sorry to disagree. :P

Really. Have you looked at Facebook or Google images lately? It's wall-to-wall with heretical, satirical and radical "art", which covers the spectrum from the profound to the profane. This particular poster's only fault is that it uses mixed references. The work being "hereticized" is of Adam and God, while the Second Coming is a reference to Jesus. Yes, the artistic reference may be obscure for some, which ignorance may keep the knee-jerkers from their usual overreaction. But if they'd had Deadpool with a halo and wings coming in clouds of glory, I daresay the reaction would have been immediate. Now if they'd really wanted to tap the heresy theme to get attention, they could have had Deadpool as the Jewish messiah under a Star of David with "In Hoc Signo", clashing with Mohamed on horseback complete with scimitar, turban and a bevy of his cheering concubines in the background--titled Deadpool: the second Jihad. If you think that heresy is really passé, I believe you have a second think coming. 8-)

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Admittedly, İ liked that teddy bear more than anything on the poster.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

coffee wrote:Admittedly, İ liked that teddy bear more than anything on the poster.

IDK, perhaps my cynicism has faded over time more than I care to admit, relatively speaking (sigh).

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

This is up there too, and if he was serious, those would be whole cartridges:

Take Your Passion, And Make It Happen