Best dialogue-driven film you've seen?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Best dialogue-driven film you've seen?

Post by Stewball »

90sCoffee wrote:The Day The Earth Caught Fire and maybe Sweet Smell of Success

OK, if you're not going to be serious....

Snufkin88
969 Ratings

Post by Snufkin88 »

JakeAesthete wrote:All Whit Stillman, all Eric Rohmer, all Noah Baumbach, all Hal Hartley (a lot going on with him aside from just dialogue, but it's the best dialogue).

I found Winter Sleep a bit ponderous, belabored, and humorless myself, but that's just me. I have the same problem with Bergman, so make of that what you will.

Glad it's not just me re: Bergman. I'm currently having an intellectual crisis with myself. I've waited 36 years to watch any Bergman, have been putting it off as I wanted to explore the filmography in my own, specific, timeframe, and 3 films down and I just don't get it....I just I feel nothing.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Back in the day, I convinced myself that Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal were really good. (The SS did have one good irreverent scene about the Last Supper but it only lasted 10 seconds.) They were b&w and were made in a European language with subtitles, WTF? Then there was all the faux hoopla about Jackson Pollock (re: The Accountant), and later I saw Phaedra (1962) which was a depressing and boring take off on Oedipus Rex, but it had a fantastic ending, which almost made it worth it. They even showed it in the preview.

So there I sat for a couple of decades, and then bought a VHS of The Seventh Seal. WTF? squared. I lay in my bed , soaking with sweat. The skies opened. I realized that Fellini, who I'd never liked to begin with, was a pretentious fraud! I ceremoniously burned my copy of The Seventh Seal and never looked back. my ass.

"Free Form" (1946)

Snufkin88
969 Ratings

Post by Snufkin88 »

rklenseth wrote:I enjoyed "The Man from Earth" (2007) which is entirely dialogue driven of a man recounting his interesting (that is as far as I can say without spoiling the premise) life to friends. Apparently there was a sequel made this past year which I'll have to find and watch. Another good one but it is a long movie (4 hours) is "The Iceman Cometh" (1973). That is about a bunch of barflies drinking away their lives while they still dream about a better life.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I watched Man From Earth this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

Snufkin88 wrote: Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I watched Man From Earth this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah I have to second Man From Earth - it's kind of a dark horse in my film library.

I've recently been exploring Polish and Czech New Wave and if you can find them, I really enjoyed Intimate Lighting and The Structure of Crystal

voneverec
2635 Ratings

Post by voneverec »

winter sleep, before midnight, before sunset, secrets & lies, los lunes al sol (i'm not sure it is dialogue driven or not), youth, işe yarar bir şey, karpuz kabuğundan gemiler yapmak and maybe trainspotting 1-2

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Stewball wrote:check out the dialogue driven comedy-dramas on TV, Goliath and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Cheers. will give them a look
voneverec wrote:secrets & lies

+1. <3 Mike Leigh. Happy-Go-Lucky is a nice antidote to Seventh Seal

tonydal
2316 Ratings

Post by tonydal »

Stewball wrote:

Heaven forbid that someone should not be serious around here...

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

tonydal wrote:
Stewball wrote:

Heaven forbid that someone should not be serious around here...

Ironic humor is one thing, 2nd grade sarcasm is another. 8-)

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

paulofilmo wrote:
Stewball wrote:check out the dialogue driven comedy-dramas on TV, Goliath and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Cheers. will give them a look

Get ready to binge.