Solo: A Star Wars Story

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by livelove »

How did you all like it ?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by ribcage »

Gave me the most nostalgia of all the new films, even though I rate it the lowest of them. The story's so simple it feels kinda like it came out of the 80s and got a 2018 polish. I'm sold on Ehrenreich as Solo but wish the script didn't highlight his soft-hearted heroic side so much, to the point that he's frequently overly naive.

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Shallow and boring. It felt like it had something going for the first 30 minutes, but then it kills off a lot of characters you may have had any interest in and then forces the film to rely on Ehrenreich as Solo, who's written in the blandest, boring way imaginable. The plot becomes increasingly predictable after that point, and I wasn't fond of the lame ways they tried to tie Han to past characters. Honestly, Han's origin in the EU was much better this soulless drivel.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

PendejoJorge wrote:Han's origin in the EU was much better [than] this soulless drivel.

Where is his origin defined in the EU? Books? Comics?
And how is it better there ?

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

livelove wrote:
PendejoJorge wrote:Han's origin in the EU was much better [than] this soulless drivel.

Where is his origin defined in the EU? Books? Comics?
And how is it better there ?

A multitude of sources... so both, more or less.

In any case, what made Han's original origin more interesting is that the EU didn't force him into some lame, cliche love story that functioned as the basis of his motivation like it did in the films. EU Han didn't really have a particularly noble ambition - he was just some guy who wanted to get by in life and escape living in poverty.

In the EU, Solo's time serving the empire was fleshed out and made more interesting - we learn about the relations he has with fellow soldiers and he grows a sense of camaraderie with them. He was perfectly content with serving them, unlike in the film. I didn't like how Han in the film seemed to have gotten nothing from serving the empire, that it was an experience that had virtually no meaning for the character other than as a means to move the plot forward.

This then leads to how he met Chewbacca in the EU - before Han joined The Empire, he was raised by a wookie who sacrificed herself in order to allow him to have a better life. Han, upon seeing her death, swore he would one day repay the favor by helping someone of her race. In this case, it was preventing Chewbacca and many others around him from becoming slaves, and therefore betraying the empire.

This to me was more interesting than how the film portrays it because Han grieved over this decision since he essentially sacrificed his own well-being for the sake of his morals. Han's betrayal was shown to be something of a personal issue for him due to how much he tied himself to the empire, which I think was interesting. It's why he was initially resentful of Chewbacca's company and it took time for him to eventually win over his good faith. Unlike the movie, it was a relationship that grew and prospered rather than something that emerged immediately.

I could go on, but generally speaking, I thought the film Han was comparatively boring to the EU version. Film Han had no charisma, a boring and lame backstory, and would often pull out success out of his ass. I preferred the grounded, more fleshed out version of him in the EU personally.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Thank you for this compelling analysis. I didn't know this alternate version of Han but can very much relate to your words. I agree that it is more interesting and much more in line with his character in the OT.

PendejoJorge wrote:Han grieved over this decision since he essentially sacrificed his own well-being for the sake of his morals.
You mean in the EU?
Which decision and how did he sacrifice his well-being?
Sorry, I didn't get that point.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

JJ @ https://www.cinemablend.com/new/!-101597.html wrote:JJ: "The idea of The Force Awakens was that this would become the evolution of not just a hero, but a villain. Star Wars had the greatest villain in cinema history. So, how you bring a new villain into that world is a very tricky thing. We knew we needed to do something fucking bold. The only reason why Kylo Ren has any hope of being a worthy successor is because we lose one of the most beloved characters."

cinemablend: "Honestly, this does kind of make sense. Kylo Ren is still probably going to be seen as a less-cool Darth Vader."
Exactly, so that does NOT make sense. Killing Han does make him a Vader not.