"Too Old To Die Young"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
VinegarBob
4158 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Too Old To Die Young"

Post by VinegarBob »

I just finished watching this on Amazon Prime and after mulling it over I've decided it's one of my favorite tv shows of all time, easily top 5. I could actually start watching it over and happily watch it all again right now. It's so far from most anything else in terms of content and style that it's hard to make comparisons to anything else on tv right now - or ever, really. So I thought I'd jot this down to let anyone who's not aware of it know that it may be worth their time.

Talking of time, a common complaint I see is that this show is very slow. This is true. The pace is glacial. Lots of long, often static shots, unnaturally long pauses in dialogue, extremely long takes. If that sounds like a turn off then this is not for you, but I love it! Such a breath of fresh air to let things unfold at a more contemplative pace rather than being bombarded with clunky exposition and rushed from one scene to the next, as is the case in most crime shows.

Also if extreme violence and depravity are things you generally avoid then you'll surely not care for this at all. But damn it's so technically accomplished, visually arresting and psychologically fascinating that I felt compelled to at least let people know such a thing exists, as I feel it's flown under a lot of peoples' radar.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: "Too Old To Die Young"

Post by paulofilmo »

will look out for this - cheers!

senolatnap
1012 Ratings

Re: "Too Old To Die Young"

Post by senolatnap »

Have watched the first two episodes. So far this is one of the best shows I've seen in years. Hypnotic from the get-go, this seems to be the culmination of the aesthetic Refn has been working with since Drive.

Amazon seems to have a real problem with it, though. I have spent a fair amount of time browsing Prime looking for things to watch and I'm confident that this show has never come up. They push "Marvelous Ms. Maisel" and "Racist Car Dudes from England" on me at every opportunity, but despite "Too Old to Die Young" being a lot closer to my actual viewing habits I had to find out about it from some article on the internet. It's like they're hiding this show.