The Hunt (2020)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Hunt (2020)

Post by Stewball »

I'd forgotten this controversial movie which delayed its release from last year due to an ill-conceived connection with two unrelated real life mass shootings. According to the actress playing the lead role, Betty Gilpin, it's supposed to be a satire showing the foibles of both political sides. Yeah, fair enough as far as it goes.

But how can they say it isn't a good guys vs. bad guys story, when one side sets up the other to be hunted for sport. I'm sorry, that's as dippy as thinking "The Brave One" wasn't about using guns in self defense (which opinion was fostered [pun intended] by changing the dvd cover from aggressive to brooding, with matching feeble-minded tagline).

Universal denies that the original title was "Red State vs Blue State"--yeah right (wink, wink). It's best to think of this as a dark comedy, because that's what it is, which also means it's not everybody's cup-o-tea, though it was mine. "R"--9/10

TheSean
1220 Ratings

Re: The Hunt (2020)

Post by TheSean »

This wasn't too bad. I had a few laughs.

In an interview a few months ago - before the release was announced - actor Ethan Suplee said it was about liberal elites mercilessly hunting down and killing 'deplorables'. He somewhat sarcastically asked... who do you think the average viewer will be sympathetic to?

memoria
697 Ratings

Post by memoria »

It seemed the movie wanted to shit all over all the "snowflake" stereotypes which I found really refreshing. My favorite part about the whole thing was the first hour or so while they decided who to finally choose as the leading protagonist.

I'm a hardcore 2nd amendment advocate so they really had me going with the "I own 7 guns. Because its my constitutional right!" guy right before he gets totally wasted. I know so many people just like that guy.

Ultimately I think the big point of the movie the writers are trying to express is:

1. Modern day cancel culture, nanny state voting, pearl clutching snowflakes or more specifically subscribers to "identity politics" are the boogeyman. They say offensive things about the church, but then act outraged if you make a joke at one of their protected groups and demand censorship/employment termination. They change the definition of words like "retard" or in some countries you might even get a fine or short time in jail for making a joke considered racist.

2. Wouldn't it be hilarious if a liberal elite told a funny joke and then the world acted outraged and demanded her termination. At this point she would obviously take the red pill and become a gun nut. But because shes a morally bankrupt Hillary Clinton supporter, then she will just start murdering people left and right. Now during the big reveal the liberal strawman will even make the same talking points conservatives make but totally oblivious to her own hypocrisy because "pwning the libz".

In my personal opinion...I think the plot is a stretch. They paint the antagonist as both sophisticated and conniving but totally oblivious to the overall hypocrisy of her conclusions. This is hyperbolic. I respect a plot with believable characters making decisions that I might actually struggle to decide with my self. This antagonist was just ridiculous. So I think the writers fell flat on that.

I think the target audience of the film....the people who will love it the most...are low IQ Trump supporters. While Jennifer Garner reveals her story...the target audience is cackling "oh yeah thats just like those libs theyre so dumb!!"....the types who dont even really know people of differing beliefs and backgrounds.

I think the first hour of The Hunt was outstanding. The rest was either funny or just kinda meh. I'm thinking about giving it a rating of about 75 out of 100.

What other similar movies would anyone recommend? What comes to my mind is Hobo With A Shotgun...maybe because its violence and has a element of dark comedy.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Memoria wrote,
"I think the target audience of the film....the people who will love it the most...are low IQ Trump supporters. While Jennifer Garner reveals her story...the target audience is cackling "oh yeah thats just like those libs theyre so dumb!!"....the types who dont even really know people of differing beliefs and backgrounds."

"Low IQ"? You mean like libs who cackle their judgemental prejudice on "people of differing beliefs and backgrounds", who also don't appear to know to use apostrophes in contractions even when spell-check flags them, and confuse Jennifer Garner with Hillary Swank--Those kind of people?

Please, a moment of silence....In Memoria.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I bought the DVD and have watched it 2 more times. It really is a great dark comedy, some parts of which even liberals will appreciate. The dark comedy centerpiece is where Crystal retells the story of the jackrabbit and the box turtle. This is not the Aesop version with the hare and the tortoise, especially given the language. I recommend you watch it on the DVD or streaming (@46:50) for the full effect. Or I put it up in the quotes section of the movie on IMDb, see link. Betty Gilpin deserves an Oscar for that alone, even though it's actually a long setup for Don's punch line response.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8244784/qu ... t_ql_trv_4