Favourite Films Of All Time?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ribcage
4173 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Favourite Films Of All Time?

Post by ribcage »

North by Northwest
Hard Boiled
Streets of Fire
Event Horizon (served as the push to make my podcast actually happen since we decided to have a segment where we have to relate movies we watch in some way or another to Event Horizon)

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

iconogassed wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:41 am
Mentaculus wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:47 am
Whenever I get asked at parties I say,

Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964).

Which is true. It usually halts polite conversation but exposes real future friends.
I hope you don't mean you actually say the complete title out loud.

That's grounds for a bowl of spinach dip on the head.
Oh absolutely. I last did it at a staff icebreaker pre-quarantine: no bowl to the head, but thankfully no one spoke to me.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

In future, I suggest instead attempting to explain to all present why the Penitentiary series is the greatest trilogy in film history.

Shotane
1477 Ratings

Post by Shotane »

These are my highest rated films:

8½ (1963)
I used to regard this as my favorite movie. I'm not so certain anymore, but it certainly belongs in the highest category. The highest rated movies(>80) are movies that become part of me, that change me a little bit. That is definitely true for this one.
The Apartment (1960)
This movie has slowly risen upward in my regard and it might be my favorite movie now. Although I dislike many modern romantic movies, I am still a sucker for the genre.
Brief Encounter (1945)
A small movie with relatively small stakes, but that makes it feel very real to me
Double Indemnity (1944)
The definite Film Noir for me
It Happened One Night (1934)
Simular to The Apartment in that it feels like an almost perfect movie to me
Nights of Cabiria (1957)
I love so many of the Italian neorealist movies, but this might be my favorite
Persona (1966)
The first time I watched it, I was just confused. After rewatching it a few times, it started to feel like a really important movie to me and it influenced the way I think about people and their personas
Vertigo (1958)
I was dumbfounded and shocked after I watched this for the first time.Most Hitchcock films don't feel like they are very deep, but Vertigo seems to say a lot about male obsession and the way we tend to fall in love with the idealized mirage of a woman instead of the woman herself which so often leads to pain and tragedy
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Pain and loss often leads to distortions in the personas we exhibit. But if the persona we exhibit is dependant on this, we tend to wallow in the pain and loss and become addicted to it. We need to scratch open the wounds of yesteryear in order to reinforce this Self. Contains great acting
Woman in the Dunes (1964)
I watched this for the first time last may and immediately felt like it belonged in my top 10. A beautiful allegory about life

Casablanca (1942)
His Girl Friday (1940)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Rebecca (1940)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
La Strada (1954)
Sunset Blvd. (1950)
The Third Man (1949)
Umberto D. (1952)

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

What's the reasoning behind making 89 your highest ranking?

Shotane
1477 Ratings

Post by Shotane »

I don't want to exclude the possibility that there are movies I will find even better or worse than I have seen so far.

I transported this list of movies from flickchart about a month ago. At first I had the highest rated movie (The Apartment) at 90 and then the lowest at 40 and put the rest sort of inbetween. More recently I went through all the ratings again and adjusted some of them by comparing them with their neigbours. I decided it was too close to say I definitely liked The apartment more than the others at 89. I also decided that I was too harsh towards some of the lower-rated movies. So now my ratings are:

80-89 = My favorites. Not only great, but they feel special to me
70-79 = Great movies
60-69 = Okay movies
50-59 = Not necessarily bad, but not really worth the time
40-49 = Bad or even slightly insulting

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

My favorite movie is Casper: A Spirited Beginning

joseywales
4142 Ratings

Post by joseywales »

ribcage wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 am
North by Northwest
Hard Boiled
Streets of Fire
Event Horizon (served as the push to make my podcast actually happen since we decided to have a segment where we have to relate movies we watch in some way or another to Event Horizon)
Peep the submarine movie "Below" it reminded me of Event Horizon.