Ranking the Star Trek movies

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Ranking the Star Trek movies

Post by CosmicMonkey »

We've already had a thread for ranking the James Bond films, so why not Star Trek? It's been running for almost as long.

My Rankings:

Good:
1. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. Star Trek (2009)

Meh:
6. Star Trek Into Darkness
7. Star Trek Beyond
8. Star Trek: Nemesis
9. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
10. Star Trek: Insurrection

Bad:
11. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
12. Star Trek Generations
13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

(All films have been re-watched in past 3 months except for the reboot trilogy)
Last edited by CosmicMonkey on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amazedemon
3526 Ratings

Re: Ranking the Star Trek movies

Post by amazedemon »

Liked it:
1. Star Trek (2009)
2. Star Trek Beyond
3. Star Trek: First Contact
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek: Insurrection

Meh:
6. Star Trek Into Darkness
7. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
8. Star Trek: Nemesis
9. Star Trek Generations

Disliked:
10. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Haven't yet seen or don't recall:
12. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
13. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

This is my first encounter with this "next generation" cast: they seem to be dull, wooden characters who represent nothing and don't interact.
The films really did not do justice to the TNG characters. If I had only seen the films, I would agree fully with you on this; all the depth and nuance of the characters and the complexity of their relationships that was present in the show was completely missing from the films and it's disappointing.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

1. Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
All the rest

metalhank
3473 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

1. Star Trek - 99%rating - Re-introduction of this new cast is just great, it has everything great about ST.
2. Star Trek Into Darkness - 99% - Abrams knows what should be on screen
3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 97% - Klingons are awesome
4. Star Trek Beyond - 97% - While it is quite action heavy, it is really well done
5. Star Trek: First Contact - 97% - Borg are great villains and Krige knocks it out of the park
6. Star Trek: Insurrection - 95% - This is one of the most fun movies with the humour while still having realness
7. Star Trek: Nemesis - 94% - Covers a lot of the other main aliens of the series
8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 93% - Also has Klingons!!
9. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 92% - One more time, Klingons, yeah
10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 89% - Heavy on faith and morality
11. Star Trek: Generations - 81% - kinda goofy, but an interesting transition between casts
12. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 77% - My opinion is this is the most accessible film for non-trekkies
13. Star Trek: The Motion Picture -74% - A valiant attempt at starting things off

In case you can't tell from these rating, I would be what is considered a trekkie as I've seen pretty much all of the tv series as well, not the 2 newest (yet).

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

The only one of the new reboot I've seen is Star Trek (2009), and it was laughable garbage. Gave it a 27/100 with the following review;

"Simply awful. One eye-rolling, cliche, and stereotypical scene and character after another. No ingenuity whatsoever. The speeches and scenes about "love" and "feelings" made me laugh;they would have sounded trite and pathetic 50 years ago. On top of this,there are thousands of plot holes,continuity errors,and overuse of deus ex machina;from Kirk escaping from that giant monster, to fire being made on an ice planet,to Kirk randomly meeting Scotty,who allows him to get back on the ship. Dreadful."

Needless to say, I haven't bothered watching the two sequels.

Among the original movies, I haven't seen all of them, but among those that I have.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 75/100-

"Too simplistic a story and execution for the highest scores, and a few annoying plot holes. (How are Khan's men such fine pilots of a ship they briefly encountered 15 years ago?) Still, a wonderful performance by Montalban, great soundtrack, and fine execution of its themes and characters make this a very good, swashbuckling adventure."

2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home 49/100-

"A fish-out-water comedy for its first half, there are several funny moments with the Star Trek interacting with people in the present day. In fact, a humorous premise was probably a good idea for a franchise that was becoming tedious and repetitive by the third installment. Unfortunately, the second half of the movie turns away from comedy to bad melodrama. And ending a Star Trek picture with a generically-presented court case was especially bad. Nimoy, you're no Sidney Lumet."

3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 25/100

"Completely and utterly mailed-in. Nary a single moment of originality, action, or humor. The original cast is all visibly old, making one wonder why they are still in a military federation, and not long since retired. And story itself is as stale and predictable as they come. A perfect example of a film thrown together because it was part of a major franchise and would thus at least recoup expenses. The fact that it got average reviews just makes it all the more depressing."

To conclude, I think one can safely watch "The Wrath of Khan" and ignore all the other movies if one is looking for quality, although perhaps I've missed a gem out of the other Shatner movies and the Picard series.

Malcym
5770 Ratings

Post by Malcym »

:D

Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek (2009)

:)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Insurrection

:|

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek III; The Search for Spock
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

:(

Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

The first ever Star Trek movie was the best of them. :D
Spoiler!
Just kidding... but it's really fun.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

coffee wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:43 pm
The first ever Star Trek movie was the best of them. :D
Spoiler!
Just kidding... but it's really fun.
I've wanted to watch this forever but haven't been able to find a version of it with English subtitles anywhere. Do you know where I can find one by chance?