Return To: Board Index | Filmmakers

The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Stewball
Posts: 2920
1962 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby Stewball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 am

Darren wrote:"or UN officials admitting that climate change is the means to achieving a socialist utopia"


*********************CITATION NEEDED*****************************


I'm so glad you asked. I just put this stuff together. I'm sorry, you'll have to pick out which ones are UN stuff. The first one is probably sufficient. And now here's where you cherry pick some mostly irrelevant fact and whine about how it's all BS.

Christiana Figueres, former executive secretary of U.N.'s Framework Convention on Climate Change quote:
"This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model (read capitalism) that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution.”—this is accurate
The rest is somewhat sloppy:
http://www.investors.com/politics/edito ... apitalism/
The Smoking Gun:
http://www.green-agenda.com/

Excerpts:
We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public's imagination... So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts... Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest."
- Prof. Stephen Schneider,
Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We've got to ride this global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic and environmental policy."
- Timothy Wirth, President of the UN Foundation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No matter if the science of global warming is all phony... climate change provides the greatest opportunity to
bring about justice and equality in the world."
- Christine Stewart, former Canadian Minister of the Environment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The data doesn't matter. We're not basing our recommendations on the data. We're basing them on the
climate models.” - Prof. Chris Folland, Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The models are convenient fictions that provide something very useful.”
- Dr David Frame, climate modeler, Oxford University

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I believe it is appropriate to have an 'over-representation' of the facts on how dangerous it is, as a predicate for opening up the audience."
- Al Gore, Climate Change activist

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It doesn't matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true."
- Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only way to get our society to truly change is to frighten people with the possibility of a catastrophe."
Daniel Botkin – evangelical emeritus professor at Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara; B.S. in art; post graduate study in English as a second language (no degree); honorary Doctor of Literature degree from the Evangelical Reformed Methodist Church (italics my add)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity. It is also our greatest opportunity to lift Global Consciousness to a higher level."
- Al Gore, Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech

UN downgrades man's impact on the climate

Richard Gray, Science Correspondent, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 1:37am GMT 11/12/2006

Mankind has had less effect on global warming than previously supposed, a United Nations report on climate change will claim next year.
The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says there can be little doubt that humans are responsible for warming the planet, but the organization has reduced its overall estimate of this effect by 25 per cent.
In a final draft of its fourth assessment report, to be published in February, the panel reports that the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has accelerated in the past five years. It also predicts that temperatures will rise by up to 4.5 C during the next 100 years, bringing more frequent heat waves and storms.
The panel, however, has lowered predictions of how much sea levels will rise in comparison with its last report in 2001.
Climate change sceptics are expected to seize on the revised figures as evidence that action to combat global warming is less urgent.
Scientists insist that the lower estimates for sea levels and the human impact on global warming are simply a refinement due to better data on how climate works rather than a reduction in the risk posed by global warming.
One leading UK climate scientist, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity surrounding the report before it is published, said: "The bottom line is that the climate is still warming while our greenhouse gas emissions have accelerated, so we are storing up problems for ourselves in the future."
The IPCC report, seen by The Sunday Telegraph, has been handed to the Government for review before publication.
It warns that carbon dioxide emissions have risen during the past five years by three per cent, well above the 0.4 per cent a year average of the previous two decades. The authors also state that the climate is almost certain to warm by at least 1.5 C during the next 100 years.
Such a rise would be enough to take average summer temperatures in Britain to those seen during the 2003 heatwave, when August temperatures reached a record-breaking 38 C. Unseasonable warmth this year has left many Alpine resorts without snow by the time the ski season started.
Britain can expect more storms of similar ferocity to those that wreaked havoc across the country last week, even bringing a tornado to north-west London.
The IPCC has been forced to halve its predictions for sea-level rise by 2100, one of the key threats from climate change. It says improved data have reduced the upper estimate from 34 in to 17 in.
It also says that the overall human effect on global warming since the industrial revolution is less than had been thought, due to the unexpected levels of cooling caused by aerosol sprays, which reflect heat from the sun.
Large amounts of heat have been absorbed by the oceans, masking the warming effect.
Prof Rick Battarbee, the director of the Environmental Change Research Centre at University College London, warned these masking effects had helped to delay global warming but would lead to larger changes in the future.
He said: "The oceans have been acting like giant storage heaters by trapping heat and carbon dioxide. They might be bit of a time-bomb as they have been masking the real effects of the carbon dioxide we have been releasing into the atmosphere.
"People are very worried about what will happen in 2030 to 2050, as we think that at that point the oceans will no longer be able to absorb the carbon dioxide being emitted. It will be a tipping point and that is why it is now critical to act to counter any acceleration that will occur when this happens."
The report paints a bleak picture for future generations unless greenhouse gas emissions are reduced. It predicts that the climate will warm by 0.2 C a decade for the next two decades if emissions continue at current levels.
The report states that snow cover in mountainous regions will contract and permafrost in polar regions will decline.
However, Julian Morris, executive director of the International Policy Network, urged governments to be cautious. "There needs to be better data before billions of pounds are spent on policy measures that may have little impact," he said.

CosmicMonkey
Posts: 223
828 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby CosmicMonkey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 am

I have no idea what your definitions of socialism and fascism are, but I guarantee you (as a former Poli-Sci major) that they are vastly different from those used by 95% of political scientists. Then again, considering that you think global warming is a hoax, in contrast to 97% of climate scientists, you seem to be one of those sorts to think that the opinion of "experts" isn't worth your time.

Welp, I tried. Will I have the time, energy, and mental health to try again sometime in the future? Let's find out!

Stewball
Posts: 2920
1962 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby Stewball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

CosmicMonkey wrote:I have no idea what your definitions of socialism and fascism are, but I guarantee you (as a former Poli-Sci major) that they are vastly different from those used by 95% of political scientists.


You say that like 95% of academia is above reproach. Global warming has shown that even some sciences are not immune to the corruption that's overwhelmed the arts and soft sciences.

Then again, considering that you think global warming is a hoax, in contrast to 97% of climate scientists


Once again demonstrating that liberals are never above pulling numbers out of their ass.

...you seem to be one of those sorts to think that the opinion of "experts" isn't worth your time.


The "sort" that sees the corruption and calls it out. And it looks like you're the "sort" who ignores massive evidence, nay proof, when presented (see my last post) when it flies against your issues and methods of social manipulation.

Welp, I tried.


No you didn't, you just came out of the starting gate, blinders in place, and moseyed on over to the barn for some more fermented hay.

JakeAesthete
Posts: 6
2932 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:41 am

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby JakeAesthete » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Stew-niverse. Where left means right, up means down, hot means cold, day means night, and everyone else is completely wrong about everything except for him. Why? Because he said so.

movieboy
Posts: 919
978 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:08 am

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby movieboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 am

Stewball wrote:Glad you brought that up, I do believe they're on the outs. Not sure what's going on there but I think he definitely cut the cord. Could be Affleck did The Accountant, but Clooney doesn't do puzzles--toooooo thinkful maybe.

There you go again!

Stewball
Posts: 2920
1962 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby Stewball » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:24 pm

JakeAesthete wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Stew-niverse. Where left means right, up means down, hot means cold, day means night, and everyone else is completely wrong about everything except for him. Why? Because he said so.


Whoa, they're coming out of the woodwork lately. Third post in 9 years. Maybe if you exercised that muscle between your ears a little more you'd pick up on something once in a while at least. First, nothing is ever because I said so. That's just the cheap shot, lazy way out, but you wanna knock yourself out, pleeez do.

movieboy wrote:There you go again!


And there you go again being a tight ass. I know you think someone that's exposing the painful truth so often HAS to be wrong, but lighten up, smell the coffee, smile once in a while. Or if nothing else, try a little enlightened reasoning garnished liberally with some smoked humor.

If nothing else, at least lighten the load a bit and admit the obvious, Al Gore is an idiot. In return, I'll lay off of Clooney for a while. Hell, I'll even go watch O Brother again. :roll:

JakeAesthete
Posts: 6
2932 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:41 am

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby JakeAesthete » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Stewball wrote:
JakeAesthete wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Stew-niverse. Where left means right, up means down, hot means cold, day means night, and everyone else is completely wrong about everything except for him. Why? Because he said so.


Whoa, they're coming out of the woodwork lately. Third post in 9 years. Maybe if you exercised that muscle between your ears a little more you'd pick up on something once in a while at least. First, nothing is ever because I said so. That's just the cheap shot, lazy way out, but you wanna knock yourself out, pleeez do.

I've somehow managed to avoid using the forum completely for all these years precisely because I have better things to do with my time than have dumb arguments like this one with strangers on the internet, but what can I say? You're such a bewilderingly easy target that I just couldn't resist. Even among far-right fringe types the "facts" you keep spouting are just laughably groundless. National Socialism is the most prevalent form of socialism? Someone better tell all the Scandinavians with their nefarious free healthcare that they're all living in a Nazi regime. My favorite factoid of yours is that America has been a fascist state since the 1930s (the implication being, I guess, that Roosevelt setting up programs to help the millions of people affected by the Depression was tantamount to fascism in your mind, because they interfered with your beloved free markets, the same laissez faire capitalism that caused the crash in the first place). If only you had been around to convince people of this back in WWII, we could have avoided the whole dang thing, seeing as how apparently we were on the same side the whole time.

I guess we should at least be glad that you aren't one of these actively pro-fascist Alt-Right types, but your line of reasoning, I'm afraid, might be even less coherent than theirs. Never mind that your definitions of "socialism" or "fascism" don't align with any agreed-upon definitions held by any sane person anywhere (even those on the right), because 95% of people are, apparently, simply wrong by your account. Obviously this makes any attempt to have a rational argument with you completely futile, since it more or less amounts to playground-level "I know you are but what am I" rhetoric (I will admit that I'm beginning to see why Donald Trump appealed to guys like you, since his approach to discourse is pretty much the same thing, leaving aside all the valid grievances that working class Americans have with neoliberal hegemony). I hate to imagine what obscure corner of Reddit you picked up all your "facts" from, but I guess it doesn't matter what I think does it, because anything I say is just "cultural Marxism" (as if any such thing actually existed), spoon-fed to me by the liberal* "Cathedral", right? I'm just a cuck who hasn't been "red pilled", never mind me.

*Funny thing about that word "liberal", which pseudo-conservative right-wing types like you like to use with such disdain. From what I can gather, as baseless as they are, your views seem to be more or less pro-free market extremism. You know what the historical name for that is? That's right, "classical liberalism". You, my friend, are a liberal.
Last edited by JakeAesthete on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
Posts: 310
1588 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby dardan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Image

Stewball
Posts: 2920
1962 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby Stewball » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:13 am

JakeAesthete wrote:
Stewball wrote:
JakeAesthete wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Stew-niverse. Where left means right, up means down, hot means cold, day means night, and everyone else is completely wrong about everything except for him. Why? Because he said so.


Whoa, they're coming out of the woodwork lately. Third post in 9 years. Maybe if you exercised that muscle between your ears a little more you'd pick up on something once in a while at least. First, nothing is ever because I said so. That's just the cheap shot, lazy way out, but you wanna knock yourself out, pleeez do.

I've somehow managed to avoid using the forum completely for all these years precisely because I have better things to do with my time than have dumb arguments like this one with strangers on the internet, but what can I say? You're such a bewilderingly easy target that I just couldn't resist. Even among far-right fringe types the "facts" you keep spouting are just laughably groundless. National Socialism is the most prevalent form of socialism? Someone better tell all the Scandinavians with their nefarious free healthcare that they're all living in a Nazi regime. My favorite factoid of yours is that America has been a fascist state since the 1930s (the implication being, I guess, that Roosevelt setting up programs to help the millions of people affected by the Depression was tantamount to fascism in your mind, because they interfered with your beloved free markets, the same laissez faire capitalism that caused the crash in the first place). If only you had been around to convince people of this back in WWII, we could have avoided the whole dang thing, seeing as how apparently we were on the same side the whole time.

I guess we should at least be glad that you aren't one of these actively pro-fascist Alt-Right types, but your line of reasoning, I'm afraid, might be even less coherent than theirs. Never mind that your definitions of "socialism" or "fascism" don't align with any agreed-upon definitions held by any sane person anywhere (even those on the right), because 95% of people are, apparently, simply wrong by your account. Obviously this makes any attempt to have a rational argument with you completely futile, since it more or less amounts to playground-level "I know you are but what am I" rhetoric (I will admit that I'm beginning to see why Donald Trump appealed to guys like you, since his approach to discourse is pretty much the same thing, leaving aside all the valid grievances that working class Americans have with neoliberal hegemony). I hate to imagine what obscure corner of Reddit you picked up all your "facts" from, but I guess it doesn't matter what I think does it, because anything I say is just "cultural Marxism" (as if any such thing actually existed), spoon-fed to me by the liberal* "Cathedral", right? I'm just a cuck who hasn't been "red pilled", never mind me.

*Funny thing about that word "liberal", which pseudo-conservative right-wing types like you like to use with such disdain. From what I can gather, as baseless as they are, your views seem to be more or less pro-free market extremism. You know what the historical name for that is? That's right, "classical liberalism". You, my friend, are a liberal.


Well, just look at all the time and effort you spent on an easy target schlub like me. I'd feel flattered if I didn't have to consider the source. (See there, brevity is the soul of wit. :idea: )

Stewball
Posts: 2920
1962 Rankings
Your TCI: na
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: The Rev. Al Gore at it again

Postby Stewball » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 am

dardan wrote:Image


What does the Easter Bunny giving himself a Lewinski have to do with anything?


Return to “Filmmakers”