What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Moribunny
5539 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What proportion of your ranked movies are by women?

Post by Moribunny »

2.85%, which means 77, according to Criticker, but the collection is probably missing some, it includes male/female collaborations, and apparently someone added Bela Tarr movies to the collection because they didn't realize that in Hungary Bela is a male name.

Interestingly a whopping 15% of them are in my Tier 10. So good job women, please direct more movies.

My top three spots are taken by Lina Wertmuller films, and after that I have stuff by Lynne Ramsay, Margarethe von Trotta (with V. Schloendorff), Vera Chytilova, Kathryn Bigelow, Forugh Farrokhzad, Jodie Foster, Marjane Satrapi, Lotte Reiniger, Elaine May...

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Moribunny wrote:2.85%, which means 77, according to Criticker, but the collection is probably missing some, it includes male/female collaborations, and apparently someone added Bela Tarr movies to the collection because they didn't realize that in Hungary Bela is a male name.

Ágnes Hranitzky is female though and she co-directed those movies..

Antares
4139 Ratings

Post by Antares »

2.9%

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Moribunny wrote:My top three spots are taken by Lina Wertmuller films,

Yeah, she is amazing. One of my top 5 favorite directors, period. Surprised she doesn't get more acclaim.

Bondo
2531 Ratings

Post by Bondo »

308/1789 as listed by Criticker...but I've actually seen more like 4000 films and a number of female directed films not in the collection here so I'd say the true number for me is somewhere around 10% of the films I've seen have female directors. I've made a particular point of it though.

Svengali
1540 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

2.8%

Yeah, I'm a male chauvinist pig like that :twisted: There's two Tier 10 films though; Werckmeister Harmoies and The House Is Black. I should really check out Lina Wertmüller someday though...

avgcrtckr
19985 Ratings

Post by avgcrtckr »

578/11647= 4,53%

Zepfanman
808 Ratings

Post by Zepfanman »

78/1187 (6.57%)

This is from my IMDb list which I've been curating since June 2000. It's only in the past couple of years that I have focused more on directors, particularly those in the margins (females, international, people of color, LGBT, etc.).

By the way, director Lexi Alexander published a great piece last month about why women creators in cinema are not recognized as well as men are. http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandholl ... -gets-real

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

36/865 (4.16%)

meh. i haven't really focused on particular groups of directors yet.

zae
2155 Ratings

Post by zae »

I've seen 25 movies in that collection, which would translate to 1.7% of my rankings.

That collection is far from complete, though. A ton of directors from non-English speaking countries are missing. Just off the top of my head I thought of Naoko Ogigami, Lisa Ohlin and Anna Odell.